I have had pain in my stomach for some time. I also felt nausea and was vomiting. I went to my doctor and she told me that I have gastritis. I would like to know more about this condition. What is the treatment for gastritis?

Gastritis is combination of several different condidions that all have one thing incommon and that is inflammation of the stomach lining. So, gastritis is not a single disease. It can be caused by drinking too much of alcohol, by major surgery, bacterial infection, traumatic injury etc. Some diseases can cause gastritis, like: chronic bile reflux, autoimmune disorders, pernicious anemia and many others. Gastritis has many symptoms. The most common are abdominal upset and pain. Other symptoms are nausea and vomiting, like in your case, feeling of fullnes, burning in the upper abdomen etc. Gastritis is diagnosed through medical tests like upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, blood test and stool test. Treatment of gastritis usually involves medications to reduce stomach acid and to relieve symptoms. Also, avoiding certain drinks and food can help in the healing process. If the condition is caused by bacterial infection then the doctor might proscribe antibiotics. We hope that we gave you enough information.

I'm an occasional gastritis sufferer. I have had it off and on for about 10 years now. I've noticed that it's more frequent when I'm heavier and when I eat fatty foods and drink acidic drinks (soft drinks, margaritas, etc.).

The only thing that has ever made it stop quickly was the "GI cocktail" given at the ER. At home, I rely on Maalox. If I catch it quickly with Maalox, it usually goes away in about 15 minutes. If I don't get it quickly, it may last a few hours.

For me, the pain is usually in the upper-front area of the stomach. Taking the Maalox and then taking a "sitting forward" position seems to work the best. Lying on the back is the worst.

Yeah I second everything you said in your post...