Hi. I have a diarrhea, gas and cramping. What does it mean? A friend of mine told me I may have some sort of parasitic infection, such as amebiasis. I would like to hear more about that infection and treatment options.

Hi. Amebiasis is a parasitic infection of the large intestine or other organs. It is caused by a parasite called entamoeba histoytica. Symptoms of amebiasis include diarrhea, increased gas and cramping stomach pain. Some other symptoms include fever. The stool will probably contain mucus and blood. Emaciation and anemia can occur in cases of chronic infection. People with amebiasis involving the intestinal tract are treated with antiamebic drug metronidazole. If you drink alcohol during treatment nausea and vomiting will occur. Metronidozale sometimes will not kill cysts in the stool. Some other drugs, such as iodoquinol, or diloxanide, may be used to kill these cysts.