I suffer from IBS .I am having cramp abdominal pain, although the nature, severity and location of the pain vary from place to place. I have noticed that emotional stress and food worsen the pain. I also noticed association between pain episodes and menstrual cycle. The thing is that besides diarrhea I am having gastrointestinal mucous discharge during night. Is this a normal symptom for IBS?

The diarrhea of IBS is usually characterized by frequent loose stools. It could be from small to moderate volume. Bowel movements are commonly during the daytime, and most often in the morning or after meals, so diarrhea is often preceded by a sense of extreme urgency and followed by a feeling of incomplete evacuation. About 50% of people with IBS also notice mucous discharge with diarrhea. But diarrhea during sleep is very uncommon in IBS and should alert to other possible diagnoses. So just in case check your gastrointestinal discharge.