am 31 year old female, mother of 3. After my last child who is 3 now I started experiencing bright red blood in my stool without pain. I went to my general doctor who referred me to a gi doctor. The gi doctor did an anal exam and noticed an anal fissure. He questioned me about pain and I still have not had any pain or discomfort associated witht he fissure. He gave me a cream and instructions but the bleeding did not go away. I returned after a couple of months and told him that the bleeding had not gone away. He recommended increasing water and fiber to keep stools soft and a nitro cream. This did not work either. I returned again after a few months he did a very quick flexible sig which he said the beginning of the colon apeared normal and confirmed the anal fissure which he said was larger. He recommended seeing a surgeon. I went back to my regular Dr. and she said that many people have these fissures without complications and that the surgery was not with out risk. She said that some people who have fissure surgery do not get full use of the sphincter muscle back and it can lead to incontinence. I chose to not have the surgery since I was not having any pain or discomfort and it was only bright red blood from the fissure. I figured this was as harmless as hemorroids. It has been ongoing now for 3 years and during the last 1 1/2 years I have not been back to the gi doctor or my regular Dr. At first it was occasional to have mucous in the stool. Then It became quite regular that I had gas that had increased in amount by quite some bit over the year. Now ther is a looming sense of urgency to get to the bathroom and sometimes it is for good reason other times it is only to drip mucous. It is always associated with gas. It seems that sometimes I have to have a bowel movement but there is nothing but gas and at the end it is slightly painful almost like a pressure and it does feel like I am going to have to go right back and sit on the toilet again. I am concerned by the amount of mucous and by mucous only stools. I thought that if ot was something that the flexible sig would have shown it. I am not sure if ther is something wrong because I didn't have the anal fissure surgery or is whaterver is going on the reason for the fissure in the first place? I eat really healthy. I have 25 to 35 grams of fiber /day. I eat lots of fruit and vegies. I drink my water. I don't think it is due to my diet My diet has been better if anything over the last three years trying to keep bowel movements soft and regular. It just seems like too much for my age. Any Ideas?? Thanks

Gluten Intolerance

did you go to see the doctor yet?

I have had the same thing for about a week now, and everything I have read online seems gloom and doom. your description is EXACTLY what I am having now.

I have the exact same symptoms for 4 months now. I really wish I knew what this is. My doctor did a colonoscopy on me and found that I was totally healthy inside - so we don't know why I have blood and mucous - exact same symptoms as you - including lots of gas. Did you ever get a prognosis? Does anyone on here have a clue to what this might be and what the solution might be?

thank you

I am a 31 year old female as well with these exact symptoms. It started about 2 months ago. I got pregnant and lost the babay at 5 weeks. Three months later and I am still taking prenatal vitamins because we want to try again. So part of me wonders if this is caused by the vitamins. Last night is the first time I saw blood with the mucus. I too am very bloated and gassy. Sometimes all I pass for a BM is mucus. I will be making a Dr appointment this week but I'm really nervous now. All the things I'm reading on the internet are scary. Any advice?

I have the same excact symptoms. are we all women? Has anyone come to any conclutions?

did anyone get a diagnosis yet. i too have urgency to go and only mucus comes out. It started when pregnant with my 3rd child last jul-aug 2006. it seemed to have died down but has returned worse than before and the mucus is now often brownish. is this some type of intestinal bug??
I am generally well otherwise and have never had any serious illness.

I am only 27 and had my first colonoscopy when I was 20, I have had two and they didn't find anything and they thought my mucus BM was due to stress. I have been without mucus for 2 years until today, now I have bloody mucus. I had an extremely stressful day and I assume that is what it is from.

I am a 25 year old female and I'm having very similar problems. I am going through a lot of stress right now as well, maybe it is due to stress. I don't even know who to see about this problem and I'm petrified I'm dying of cancer, but at 25 yrs old it's almost embarrassing to tell anyone.

Sorry to buck the trend ladies, but I have been getting exactly the same symptoms. For the last week I've been passing stools with a tinge of bloody mucus. I was also concerned about all the words of doom and gloom on the web as well, but it could be as little as just from an anal fissure...... or cancer. Quite frankly, I just want to know what the problem is, and get treatment. I'm not about to go to my doctor to be treated as an experimental case until they finally figure out what's wrong. I normally wouldn't mind such a thing, but I live in France now, and as a native English speaker, it's actually pretty difficult just communicating simple things like, 'I've been getting a headache', let alone 'I've been getting an infrequent dull clutching pain periodically, but nothing else has been prevalent in the last two years. Try explaining THAT in another language when your best attempt at asking for bread ends up confusing the retail assistant! I want to know whether anyone here has been to, or spoken to an expert about this condition? What, if any, advice has been given?

I've also found a site that suggested the condition could also be due to a bacterial or parasitic infestation. Has anyone found that that was their diagnosis?

i have the same problem! my doctor took blood and urine sample...but nothing!! i'm going to get them stool sample tomorrow..eww...but i'm starting to get worried...cuz the bleeding and mucus is very consistent

i have had the same things that you all have been experiencing, but i also had a lot of pain, vomitting, and weight loss... i finally went to the doctor and had 2 colonoscopies where they foud a mess in my GI tract... i was diagnosed with crohn's disease. some of you may have some of the earlier signs of this or it could just be stress or colitis or even a gluten intolerence as someone mentioned earlier. try experimenting with your diet, i noticed that limiting dairy (esp milk and yogurt) has helped me a lot, also eating cooked veggies instead of raw ones is easier to be digested. hope this helps some of you

Im a 17 year old femae with the same sypmtoms. Ive had them for about three months. At first I just thought ie was my period but when i checked the bleeding && mucus were coming from my anal area. About a month after it started I started having anal intching. I was hoping to find out what it was by checking the internet but everything Ive found sounds really bad.

I am a 23 year old female. I have not had a pregnancy. Last August, I began to have horrible joint pain in my hips. The pain seemed to come out of nowhere. From August of 2006 until the end of May 2007, I had seen my primary care provider, Orthopedic providers,Physical Therapists, Rheumatologists several times. Not one of the providers could figure out what was going on. Nothing seemed to help. The very end of May, beginning of June 2007, I began having several bowel movements of diarrhea that contained both bright red blood and mucus. I felt like I had to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes. Sometimes, I would have a bowel movement of nothing but mucus.I had no painful symptoms. I informed my Primary Care Provider that this was happening.. I came in for some tests for Ulcerative Colitis, and Crohns Disease.. the results were negative. The irregular bowel movements seemed to stop for some time... but they again started the end of June beginning of July. It was then that my PCP decided to schedule me for an "urgent" colonoscopy for the end of July... again the end of July- just before my Colo i had the symptoms reappear. I have yet to know whats going on.

I too have had the same symptoms. I'm a 28 year old male. Had a colonoscopy about two weeks ago. The only thing my doc found was an infection in my colon and that my rectum was inflamed. He prescribed Flagyl which is meant to help get rid of the infection. I'm almost done with the meds and still have mucus and blood. I get very gassy but it's not your typical gas. It even feels as if I have to have a bowel movement, but when I sit on the toilet, blood and mucus are the only things that come out. Because I've strained so much, I've developed hemorrhoids and anal fissures which have literally become a pain in the ass. All this has become quite an ordeal and I just want complete healing from all this so I can get back to having normal bowel movements.