My partner is going through a divorce at the moment and feels very "down and low" he has been to the doctor who has told him it is due to lack of serotonin. She has suggested he takes tablets to make him feel better. Is there any alternative to tablets and will they be anti-depressants.

The medication that the Dr. will put him on will probably be an antidepressant. Divorce can really upset a person to no end and sometimes they need a little help to get thru it.
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, it's a chemical that helps relay signals from one side of the brain to the other.
An imbalance of serotonin may influence mood in a way that could lead to depression.
Antidepressant medication works on serotonin levels, they are known as SSRI's or SELECTIVE SEROTONIN REUPTAKE INHIBITORS and are thought to reduce symptoms of depression.
I'm sure that there are alternatives if you do some research. St. Johns Wort has helped some people with depression, this is an herbal product.
He can go to an herbalist and speak with them. I don't mess with the herbal stuff much, for some reason i just don't trust in it. I know in some cases nature put it there, now let nature help take it away, but it's just not my bag.
I would tell your partner to listen to what his Dr. tells him. There is nothing wrong with needing a little help to get over the rough patches.
The medication does not work right away, it takes a good 3 to 4 weeks for this to make it's way into your system and begin to do its job. Your partner will know it when it starts to work. Everything will look better to him and he won't have that heavy and low feeling.
Remember, some people get to the point where they are so extremly depressed that they think bad thoughts, like suicide, self mutilation etc..
There is help for him and he doesn't have to live on it, it just makes life bearable for a while. He can come off it, slowly if he wants.