I have had GB twice, once in '83 ( no treatment) and the 2nd time in '94. Treatment was plasma exchange, in hospital every 2nd day for 2 weeks. After this as an out patient, once a week for a month, then once every 2 weeks for about 2 months, then once month for about 4 to 6 months.
The residue effect was quite dramatic with very noticeable lack of motor skills for my legs, my upper body seemed to recover OK. The advise was just to do physio which didn't seem to advance me enough. I did use Tie Chi and found this very helpful, however after moving was unable to find another good Tie Chi Instructor.
Two and half years ago I found Pilate's in my town and been there every since. I will never fully recover, i.e. to be able to run and jump, but considering the alternative I am great. I walk every morning and run the inside of my pool up to 75 laps a day
Conclusion, my experience is one needs to find a excellent Pilates instructor, preferably a trained physiotherapist, water running if possible and a good Tie Chi instructor. DVD's are too fast for the beginner, otherwise adapt and keep plugging away, you will get there. Cheers