Okay, so I was sick for a little while. During that time, I had no energy so I didn't run at all.

Now I've slacked off and can't seem to get back into the game. I go outside now but I just walk instead of picking up the pace to a jog. I used to do about 5 miles three times per week.

What should I do to get back to where I was? Should I start again as if I were a total beginner? Go less miles and work back up again?

~Astara~

Good luck. Sometimes the mood just hits, you know? I hope you get it back soon!

i'd just continue the walk/jog thing, extending the intervals when you jog and using the walk to recover. it may not take as long as you'd suspect; it's a good starting point.

good luck. i hope you can get back to the 3x5s before long.

I feel like a beginner almost every year. I take periods off from running throughout the year (changes every year), but I tend to start over. It's what my body wants. Sometimes I'm able to pick it back up quicker, sometimes not. I'd start where you're at and work your way back into it. In the grand scheme of things, the time it takes you to get back into it is insignificant to the years you may spend running in the future.

My advise. Force it. I didn't and my slacker period extended to about two years....

i agree with her. im guessing you were only sick for one week and 1 week is not enough time that you shouldn't have completely lost your ability. try forcing a 3 mile run (or jog, whatever you did), and you will porbably feel better a couple miles into it because your energy will be back. if you were able to run 5 miles before doing 2 or 3 right now even at a slow pace would be fine.

When I started back up, after a 2 year hiatus from having my son, I started with the goal of putting the milege in that I left off at. So my only goal was to hit 3 mile runs...5 days a week (15 miles). I did so by running...walking...running and walking...NEVER LOOKING AT MY TIME!

After a few weeks of it, I was back to my daily 3 mile runs...10 minute miles. Once I was there, I was able to increase the distance and pick up the speed. It was then that I started distance running as well. It helped me to get back into it by not pressuring myself to run every single time. I only wanted to get that distance in one way or another.

That's what worked for me. Thankfully it did.

hey astara,

i was sick for a week about 3 months agao. i had a pretty high fever (104) and although that only lasted 2 days (which seemed like forever...), the rest of the time it hovered around 99, after the week was up, i was "well" but when i tried to run, i had no energy or reseves to keep going for my long runs (to me a long run is 5 miles, lol). i took it easy another week and or so and my energy and reserves came back.

i guess my body was still recovering and resupplying itself. maybe if u were really sick for a week, ur body needs to do the same thing....

Kel

Astara,

The best way to get back into running is to start with a race walk. It will be easier on your joints and body, plus no risk of running into a parked car.

Ramsey