I had a left hip replacement three months ago. I am still limping and have muscle weakness and pain in my hip, along the incision site, and also occasional groin pain. X-rays of the hip show the device to be normal, no loosening. Blood tests revealed no infection. Doctor sent me for an MRI of the spine because the pain might be coming from there, but it only showed mild degenerative changes. Physical therapy makes the pain much worse for a couple of days and then I have to go again and the cycle continues. I did not go for physical therapy for five days before the MRI and also did not do any exercises at home and the pain improved considerably. I still cannot walk without a cane. I am very frustrated. What should my next step be?

I had my left hip replacement in February and all was going well until the end of May whn I started having pain down the outside of my left lef andalso inmy groin. I could not find a comfortable position at night and went back to see my GP who prescribed strong painkillers. Like you, he sent me for an x-ray which was clear. I have a 1cm leg discrepancy and have been to see the podiatrist for treatment to correct that with a heel lift but the pain has continued.

I stopped going to the physio at end of May and stopped using my walking stick around the same time but the exercises the physio gave me were advanced, using rubber bands and 1 then 2 kilogram weights on my ankles and I also started introducing the exercise bike and the treadmill but this seemed to make things worse.

I have now stopped doing the exercises the physio gave me and gone back to basics - the same exercises I was given after my op. This has seemd to help but I have asked my employer to refer me to another physio to find out what is causing this as I feel the muscles in my groin have tightened although the pain down the outside of my leg has lessened quite considerably

I read your post today July 17, 2010. My husband is having the same exact thing happening to him after total hip replacement on April 6, 2010. Has your condition improved? What did you do to make it better?

I am 4 months out. Young and otherwise healthy. I too am having pain in my THR. My spine is fine, and no infection. I know it is only 4 months, but I am getting a little frustrated as well.

This might sound crazy.I am also THR 3 1/2 months post op.Sometimes ok work out and pain.If I walk to much pain,sometimes just pain no reason.I bought an exercise ball.I lay my back on it and roll myself,using my legs,put arms streched up to touch fingers to the floor,and and back to legs getting as much stretch as I can.The pain goes away.So maybe we are a little to tight and need to comfortably stretch.Good Luck .I don't think the pain is unusual,we want faster reults.Give it a good 7-9 months

This might sound crazy.I am also THR 3 1/2 months post op.Sometimes ok work out and pain.If I walk to much pain,sometimes just pain no reason.I bought an exercise ball.I lay my back on it and roll myself,using my legs,put arms streched up to touch fingers to the floor,and and back to legs getting as much stretch as I can.The pain goes away.So maybe we are a little to tight and need to comfortably stretch.Good Luck .I don't think the pain is unusual,we want faster reults.Give it a good 7-9 months.Also be carefull make sure you are near something to guide you in case you should start to roll off the ball.Balance is hard sometimes.

I had a total hip replacement three and a half months ago. I'm 48. I am pain free. have been working closely with an excellent physio. I am a 1st degree black belt in taekwondo and have started training for my 2nd degree hopefully to achieve that towards the end of this year. If you have pain in your hip get it checked out.

My Occupational therapist advised me of the benefits of building up strength before the THP, especially as I am only 39, but this is better said than done, when to do the excersise is painful and limits you.  I am now 4 months post,  back to work next week.  Still in pain and limp slightly,  I am currently at least not taking anelgiesics which is progress.  Time will tell and I have lots of it!

I have the same story as you. When my hip was first done, the hospital ER prep people positioned me on the table that when my surgery was done, I had neuropathy so bad I was immobile with my left leg and I was like I had foot drop. The OR position caused severe neuropathy from my foot to my groin. I still,8 months post-surgery have neuropathy from below the knee to my groin. I take Gabapentin for neuropathy. My hip has dislocated 5 times. My last x-ray showed muscle weakness in my hip area.Physical therapy caused more pain.I. to this day still walk with a cane and my hip replacement was April 30,2014.

I have the same problem after 5 months, not happy, can't sleep and at times I need to use a walker after 3mths of surgery, Was doing much better before the 1st 3 months. Now they say I have sciatica new and must do exercise, I at times have an internal itch that I feel like scratching the inside some how and lack of sleep, pain after sitting 15 min, and not better laying down. Seems my life was better with hip pain which was bone on bone , way overdue ... I sympathize with you and hope this works itself out soon and not soon enough.

I am in the same boat. Surgery on 10/20/14. I'm so upset I can't sleep at night. All I do is eat ibuprofen and hobble. Did it get better? And if so, how!

I am in the same boat. Six months after surgery, I am still hobbling and using a cane. Any suggestions? Will I ever recover from this nerve damage?

I had THR February 2014 and developed quite a limp. It's exhausting, as I'm sure you all know! At my one year follow-up exam my hip doc said I have scoliosis, which I didn't have before. I finally went to a chiropractor who came highly recommended. He x-rayed and I do have curvature of my spine. He said if he adjusted it, the muscles would just pull my spine back to its current position. At his recommendation I'm going to let him do Procaine/Vitamin B12 injections. I am most interested in his treating the scar tissue from the hip surgery. I have quite an indentation there, as though the scar tissue is pulling surrounding tissue. I want to avoid additional surgery and although this is pricey and may not be covered by insurance, I'm going to go for it. I'll post the results after I have the injections.

I've regressed during month 3,,,,,, back to limping, today i bought a another Cain..... Very frustrating....revison due to metal on metal..... This new one hurts more

I had my surgery 3 months ago, I did okay at first but here recently I am having the worst pain in my groin and the incision area. I have done everything they have asked of me and I am starting to regret even having the surgery...I have went back to work and cant get comfortable in my chair I cant sleep and this is driving me crazy.