Abs? Everyday - you can do ab work everyday. no no abs are like every other muscle and need rest.
A zillion crunches.
no no not a zillion crunches if you do a zillion crunches you are not doing it right.

help! I'm so confused.

I work mine 2 days a week. I pick an exercise for upper, lower and oblique and do 3 sets of 15 for each one. Seems to work for me, but then again I'm no expert.

From the studies i have read, abs are not like every other muscle, Abs and Calves are made up of a more tough and fibrous muscle type.

Abs can be worked every day and up to 2 times a day. This is also why Calves are so hard to develop for body builders. it takes so much effort and time to achieve results.

These particular muscles have eveolved differently due to the fact that they are in a constanst state of use for an upright hominid for support/balance.

well my :twocents:

Pilates. A half hour 3 or 4 times a week. It works.

Do you go to a class or use a video?

Can I bump in here and ask some stomach exercise questions?

Sit ups/crunches are a definite no-no for me, are there some less "intense" ab exercises? Are pilates ab exercises less intense?

Is there a way to work the lower back for strength?

Forgive the goofy questions and the hijack of sorts!!

thanks!

What do you mean by "intense"?

I meant something that will gently work the ab muscles without putting too much strain on the stomach area. (impossible???)

sit ups and crunches put too much strain on my stomach.

A friend of mine just let me borrow her "Winsor Pilates" (of info-mercial fame) for a while as I'm suffering from jellybellyitis. I think you just encouraged me to actually try it before I return it to her....

Massage is gentle :P

It may be technique or starting out with to much. Try a few of the beginner exercises and only a few to start. You can start adding rather quickly.

do sit ups that helps and eat healthy

Tried it yet, cheryl?

RunsLikeAGirl - Is it the Windsor Pilates that you do? I looked into them at one time but wasn't sure they really did anything...

3 supersets of reverse and regular crunches once or twice a week.

Thats what I've been doing. I feel them possibly more in my back than my abs but I think they've been good for 'core strengthening'.