For me its cycling and weight lifting, both complement my running very well, soon I am going to add some swimming in the mix as well.

I plan on doing more biking and actually using the new wight bench I got. For now, my xting consists of lawn mowing and hedge trimming.

I do a lot of cycling. If you use the 4:1 bike miles to running miles ratio, I should actually count running as the cross-training I do for my cycling. I usually do >150 MPW on the bike, and for now, I'm slowly rising up to 30 MPW for running.

I do swimming 3X/week and do some weights although I don't lift heavy because it interferes with my other cardio stuff if I'm to stiff/sore to workout.

I have always lifted atleast four times a week

at the pool I am starting to swim more laps vs clowning around on the high dive (did you ever get a nylon enema??)

and add more speedwork to my running routine

i am amazed at my increased "wind" capacity in the pool this year due to my running all winter and spring. BTW--

does anyone know how many laps 200 meters is?

4 in a 25 meter pool.

(did you ever get a nylon enema??)

I see a new signature in the very near future.

I don't know how you all have time to crosstrain. It seems like it is all I can do to find time to run, and I don't have half the family commitments you all do. When do you work it in?

When do you work it in?
My family likes to sleep late. My wife is a SAHM and my kids don't go to work until the afternoon.
I ride to and from work when I ride during the week. I can run at lunchtime and I swim in the evening when my wife goes to the Y. I also do my lifting in the AM in the garage.

I see a new signature in the very near future. I don't know how you all have time to crosstrain. It seems like it is all I can do to find time to run, and I don't have half the family commitments you all do. When do you work it in? Weight lifting, I squeeze at night after dinner (if I can get it in) or on a Saturday morning, cycling I do on Tuesday's in lieu of a run. I wish I could get more lifting done, but being so busy it seems as if I can only get in on Saturday's.

I see a new signature in the very near future. I don't know how you all have time to crosstrain. It seems like it is all I can do to find time to run, and I don't have half the family commitments you all do. When do you work it in? i use the weight early in the morning

Approx. 45 minutes of intense weight training M/W/F after my run.

Sure are a lot of familiar names around here.....

I have always been into lifting so I try to do that at least 3x/week. I have weights at home, which helps because I can fit that in anytime and not have to go anywhere. With even a set or two of dumbbells and a medicine ball, you can work out a decent routine. I do the heavier stuff at the gym, usually on the weekends when I have more time for a longer workout.

Since being benched I was forced to add swimming and cycling and elliptical training. We usually only ride maybe twice a week outside right now, once I get more bike confident I am going to alternate my lunchtime runs at work with rides. Right now I am a wuss and prefer the closed bike trails. I try to swim 2-3x also. If you double up the workouts, i.e. swim, ET and then lift, you aren't making as many trips to the gym. When the weather is nicer I run at lunch or at the park right after work. I am NOT a morning person, all I can usually manage is my AM Yoga tape to loosen things up.

It helps if you look at yourself as not just a runner, but someone who, on the whole, adopts an active lifestyle. Then you can kinda sneak in some cross training by saying to a buddy, let's go biking, rollerblading, hiking, etc.....and get a nice couple hours' workout without feeling like you are stuck at the gym by yourself. That helps too.

In-line skating, kickboxing, weight lifting, spinning. Mild yoga, but I am thinking of starting biyrami (sp) the one where you are in a really hot room so all the toxins get sweated out of your system.

I just started swimming a few months ago. as well as In-line skating alon with biking and running.

For non-impact its Yoga & Tai Chi.

M99

If I were to sweat all the toxins out of my system I'd be a shell of my former self....