I have had pain under right ribs, nausea and bloating. Dr. thought it was gall bladder. I had a normal ultrasound and then a HIDA scan. The ejection fraction on the HIDA scan was 99.97%. I thought normal was 35-75%. Anybody ever had this? If so, what did you do?

Quite honestly I am getting really frustrated with what is being deemed as normal.. Normal ejection fraction is 50% over an hour. anything lower than this indicates biliary problems or stones, anything 60% or higher is considered overactive, particularly if upon infusion of cck, the patient experiences biliary diskinesia( pain and cramping upon GB contraction).your EF is definately on the high end. I am booked in too have my GB removed, I had an EF of 74%, too many symptoms to count, Fatigue that is constant, nausea, intestinal problems, persistent sweating... I was so grateful my GP was relentless in his search for answers, I also work as an 0ccupational therapist in a hospital so have access to GI's whenever I need. that is where I have sourced my information from while I was making my way through the plethora of tests I had to endure.... Good luck. I hope this helps.

Guest:  How did your surgery go?  How are you feeling?  Did your symptoms resolve?  I have a EF of 71 and have lots of your symptoms.  Weak, fatigue, no appetite, nausea, feverish/sweating.  Became Vit D deficient (fat soluable vitamin) and have lost about 10-15 pounds over the last 10 months.  Thanks

I had a high ejection fraction (98%) and intense pain during the HIDA scan when the CCK was administered. The pain was the same as the pain that I felt every day for 2 1/2 months (NOT food related that I could ever determine).

Based on the pain from the HIDA scan, my surgeon took my gallbladder out (yesterday, as a matter of fact!). The pain is gone... it is wonderful.

I hope more doctors study this so others can avoid unnecessary pain and tests like I had to go through (every kind of scan, colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, ureteroscopy (kidney) +++)

Heather42, I was so excited to see your post and that it was recent. I had a ejection fraction of 83%. I had the exact pain during the HIDA test as you.  I also have not been able to relate my pain to any particular food.  BAsed on the pain during the test my doctor gave me the odds (80% have symptoms relieved after gallbladder removal). I have made the decision to have it removed. Your post has certainly made me feel better about my decision. 
Hope you doing well. 

Hi Heather,

I have a 16 year old daughter recently diagnosed with celiac disease with the same symptoms you describe. She just had a HIDA scan which resulted in same pain as you had described and a 96% EF. Can I ask your age and if you have been diagnosed with celiac as well? Thanks in advance!!

Hello everyone! I am a 21 yr old female. For the past 2-3 months I have been experiencing some intense pains under my right rib up the side, I get chest pains, back pains, pressure, constantly feel like throwing up (most of the time I dont allow myself), I also get very light headed and dizzy. I've been tested for celiac and it came up clear. I've been to the GI and the ER, last week we finally went to this good urgent care hospital that really helped me out. I had test after test done before this visit and no stones showed. Finally they set me up with a surgeon. I got my HIDA scan on monday and was called with my results on tuesday, the nurse said " You're tests came back and everything is normal." Now I have been out of work for about two months, due to being sick (forgot to mention the diahhrea, makes life hard).. but I have had a lot of time to do my research. So i asked her what the ejection fraction was, she said 94%.. now it doesnt take a genius to realize this is extremely high.. My surgeon is on vacation until next week but he was convinced it was my gallbladder giving me the problem and was very prepared to take it out regardless of what numbers showed, only the pain I felt. I find a lot of relief in these forums because I feel a lot of us do experience the same strange pain and dizziness that doctors just dont yet have enough information to understand.. I will be getting mine out hopefully next week. I'll come back and post with updates, Hopefully I'll be able to get my life back. I wish the best for you all, I wouldnt wish this pain and discomfort on anyone. I forgot to state earlier, I'm physically fit, 5'7 and about 150lbs, when I got sick I was the healthiest I've been in a long time. I lost weight and was working out almost everyday. I hope you all get your health back, and your lives.

did you get it out? did it help?

d_vals- a LOT of gallstone/gallbladder issues actually are caused by a TOO low fat diet, because if the gallbladder doesn't work/completely empty, it causes stones to occur. Never had trouble til I did a major diet and lost 35 pounds. SIGH, going in for tests tomrrow.

i just had the HIDA scan mine was 88% ejection and called hyperactive. i am trying to find out info myself . i felt pain within 5min after they injected the meds that cause the gallbladder to empty..... i want to know more. sorry my answer didnt help i see your post was over a year ago i hope you found out something since then

Look into "Habba Syndrome". 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I have been told the same thing about my weight loss. I had went on a major diet and exercise routine as well and lost 57 lbs! So happy of course that I was doing so good!!!! Now that's been put on hold due to my symptoms. Very annoying! But I had been unable to lose weight after these symptoms started anyway. I'm ready to get this figured out and back to dieting and working out! I have these symptoms: shortness of breath (feels better when I walk around), light pain under right rib down to hip area, worst pain is in my upper back, burping, yawning, fatigue, and loss of appetite (unusual for me). I had an ultra sound and Hida scan that came back "normal". My EF was 98% on the Hida scan but they say that's normal..... I'm going to see a surgeon today to see what he thinks. How did your tests come back?

I am going through this now! My ejection fraction was 83%, I've been sick for 3 months. I want my gallbladder out, how did you get your doc to agree to remove your gallbladder?

I have been sick off and on for at least 2 years. It first presented in 2014 & when my ultrasound was deemed "normal", I was sent for a HIDA scan. At that point my EF was 55%. I got mixed up with seeing just a nurse (instead of my GP, who is a great doctor) who claimed my HIDA scan was "PERFECT!!!" Fast Forward to 2016... I went to the beach on vacation with my boyfriend. My stomach swelled outward so much that I appeared PREGNANT and could not wear the new T-Shirt I bought even though it was a size bigger than what I should wear (I like baggy clothes). When I got home, I got extremely sick at night. I threw up incredible amounts of food; I was tasting quesadillas I had eaten 4 DAYS previous & also had violent diarrhea. I was sick for 2 more weeks including 2 trips to the ER where they just kept doing ultrasounds that always came back giddily "normal". I FINALLY got to see MY regular doctor who revealed that my EF 2 years ago had been on the high side (55%) & he sent me for another HIDA scan. The results of HIDA scan #2? I have an 83% EF! So, back to see my GP today.... But he was unexpectedly out of office and I was forced to see another doctor (whom I don't like due to the fact that she's malpracticed 2 of my own family members).

Please, please excuse my language but I must be honest... This other "doctor" was nothing but a heinous b***h to me and to my family member who drove me to the office. She INSISITED that the problem is NOT GB related. She looked at old notes she had on me from an X-Ray dating back SIX YEARS ago & based on that told me it was "just fecal matter". She refused to lift a finger to help me. She assumed (incorrectly!) that my problem is my diet that I live off fast food and fried meat - I am a vegetarian, a healthy eater, & have been on a mostly liquid only diet for weeks now! She said: "I am only concerned about your bowel movements. There is nothing wrong with you or your GB." I educate myself, & informed this woman that my EF is 83% & that that is high & NOT normal. "I know what normal is!" She says all hateful to me. Refused to send me to a GI/surgeon. Claimed I had IBS due to "poor diet". I have lost 150 pounds over the last 3 years. I don't think that's possible for anyone who "eats nothing but fried fatty foods". I left the office in PAIN & in TEARS, totally insulted. I also rescheduled to meet with my REAL GP later this week. I have been in severe agony, felt exhausted my entire vacation, & have had soaking sweats and night sweats so bad that I had to change my shirts in the middle of the night, and feel almost suicidal today after that woman "doctor" told me I would never get my GB out if she could see to it and treated me that way. Everyone who knows me says I am a "very sweet young woman", "intelligent and respectful." I am not used to being treated this way & made to feel like I am some kind of hyperchondriac.

I'm hoping that my real doctor can help me. I'm worried.

Ethereal333

You are EXACTLY like me! I too have a high 83% EF. And it seems like all I can do is be submit to more (unnecessary) tests! They're not going to show anything. They will all come back "normal, normal, normal" bc I don't believe there's anything wrong with me other than my gallbladder!