I'm currently training for a half-marathon at the end of March. My sis is going to start training for a sprint triathlon happening in July. I'm thinking since I'll have 15 weeks between races, I'll go ahead and plan on my first tri with my sis. Obviously, my only real goal is to finish. Anybody got any must have tips/resources/mojo for newbies?

Can you swim? That's usually the biggest stumbling block. Just about anyone can run and ride well enough to finish a sprint tri, but if you can't swim worth a poop, then you know what you really need to focus on.

I've gone a couple of lengths of the pool, but haven't ever really tried to do any more than that. This is the one area that I'll have to start working on immediately.

COOL!

I'm with PH, swimming is usually the toughest to get back into. People think they swam as a kid what is so hard. If you havn't used those muscles in a while, it can be frustrating. Take your time.

Start with 3 half hour swims a week. Two at the minimum. Take your time. Don't start another lap if you are tired. this may mean you are doing 50's for a while, that's fine. Swimming when tired just reinforced bad technique.

Check out Triathlon 101. Great intro book.

Anticipate spending a ridiculous amount of money to get started. Come up with a figure in your head that sounds reasonable, and triple it.

No, I'm not kidding.

I disagree.
1) Swimming - the equipment is cheap if you're not swimming with a wetsuit. The gym membership can be a little steep but it's broken down into monthly payments, so it's not too bad.
2) Cycling - You can ride on a bike you already own or a borrowed bike. If you're just doing the tri for fun, there's no reason to go out and drop $$$ for the latest and greatest bike.
3) Running - No special equipment needed since you already run.

Today was day one of simulated tri-training for me.

I too thought the swim should be a slam dunk. I've got endurance, aerobic training and upper body strength from rowing.
1st lap.. swim normal..this isn't so bad.
2nd lap.. okay, it's tiring. I'll side-stroke the return trip.
3rd lap.. dangit, this is hard.. I'll side-stroke out and back float the return.
big breather.
4th lap.. side-stroke out and back float return. Sucked some water.
bigger breather.
ooops... looked at the clock, not much time left.
5th lap.. back float out and side-stroke return. I'm done.

In the lane next to me was a fellow runner I can race against and run 50% faster than, but she was smokin' by me doing about 3 laps in the time of my one.

Yeah, I'll stick with it for a while and see how it goes. I'm convinced the technique and training curve are pretty long. I've nevah swam laps as training, so this is all new, but it's a toughie.

I'd recommend getting in the pool for a month's time and then evaluate. I've talked with a few guys that gave it an honest Abe effort and just junked the idea because some bodies/forms are just like a duck out of water when they're in the water. :shrug:

My advice: Get into that pool!

You have a good amount of time to prepare yourself for that tri, but do start now. The swimming is hard at first, but you'll see that you can improve quickly with practice and time put in.

Swimming is one of those things that get better with practice. If you swim 4 laps one day maybe set a goal the next day of swimming 5 laps or swimming the same amount of laps with less rest. Do you have pull bouys (sp?) at your pool and kick boards? Do a lap with each so you can focus one lap kicking and focul one lap on your stroke. As you get comfortable in the pool you can increase your workout.

lots of good advice being given, here is my .02

1. Whatever bike you have now you can use for your first sprint tri, my first one I used my mt. bike with road tires on it. Obviously if you get bit by the tri bug you will want to look at road/tri bikes.

2. Work on the swimming, and just want Dancer said, every time just increase your distance a little and before you know it you will be swimming like a fishie!!

3. If at all possible, do a swim or two in open water prior to the event, swimming in an open body of water is much different than the pool type swimming.

4. Being a runner has huge benefits of you finish with your strong suit.

5. Lastly, have a ball out there and welcome to the best sport there is!!!

I have been doing some swimming the past few months and came to it as a rank beginner. For me, it is all about form and efficiency in the water as opposed to speed. Yeah, if you get tired and your form breaks down all you are doing is reinforcing bad form.

I did two things. I bought a book called "Total Immersion" and I did a couple of sessions with a swim coach. But swimming is like biking and running, you stay after it and endurance eventually shows up.