I am worried that my son will inherit my blood disorder. My wife is 6 months pregnant and I can not stop worrying. I have haemophilia and I guess I have a reason to think that he will get it too. Can you tell me more about it?

You have every right to worry because haemophilia is an inherited bleeding disorder. However, some things are just ment to be and we can not do anything to change them. Haemophilia is due to a deficiency of a blood protein essential for blood clotting and this deficient protein can be clotting factor VIII or clotting factor IX. Only male children are severely affected and bleeding occurs easily and is prolonged. Bleeding may occur spontaneously and the commonest places for them to occur are the joints and muscles. However, not all people with haemophilia are severely affected and there is no spontaneous bleeding with mild haemophilia. The haemophilia can be traced back through several generations in many families. Treatment of haemophilia involves replacement of the missing factor VIII and this is done by giving an injection of this chemical, which is prepared from normal donated blood. What is interesting is that now is possible to make factor VIII artificially. I sincerely hope that your baby will be ok.