My new boyfriend told me last night after three weeks of dating that he suffers from hemophilia. I know this is some kind of blood disorder but I would like to get some more info. Is there something is should be especially careful about? Is there a treatment or a cure? Thank you

Hello! There are two forms of hemophilia, A and B. Hemophilia means low levels or complete lack of a blood proteins essential for clotting. Hemophilia A is more common and it means that a person is lacking blood clotting protein, factor VIII, and in hemophilia B lack factor IX. It is a genetic disease, which means that a defective gene located on the X chromosome causes hemophilia. The symptoms they experience are of course bleeding related and may include unusual bleedings after injury or surgery, bleedings from small cuts that starts and stops over several hours, frequent nosebleeds, easy bruising, blood in the stool or urine, etc. Severe hemophilia cases will have regular factor replacement in order to prevent most bleeding episodes. These are some of the basic info about this blood disorder. You may ask your boyfriend to tell you how he has been handling the problem, I am sure he would be glad you’re taking an interest. If he is one of the silent types, you can always come back and look for more questions and answers here.