I have had problems with my bladder since I was fifteen. All my urinary problems culminated last week. My doctor diagnosed bladder cancer and recommended additional tests. The disease is actually called squamous cell carcinoma. I’m interested in whether this type of cancer is invasive and what the probable tecniques my specialist will recommend are.

Constant urinary problems affecting bladder or other parts of the urinary tract increase the risk of bladder cancer. The commonest type of cancer in this case is called squamous cell carcinoma. The disorder manifests in the abnormal growth of particular flat and thin cells that create one segment of the bladder. Those cells are called squamous cells so hence the name of the disorder. Unfortunately, this type of cancer is very invasive and it means that it will most likely gradually attack deeper layers of the bladder. It can also spread via blood and lymph to other parts of the organism and attack your lungs or liver. The treatment depends on the type of the carcinoma, its stage, overall health and condition, medical history. The usual options are surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Those can also be combined. Radiation therapy refers to targeting cells with special rays produced outside of the body or to placing a certain amount of radioactive material in the body and removing it after some time. Chemotherapy refers to the use of very strong drugs particularly designed to kill cancer cells. They kill all cancer - affected cells in your organism, not just those in your bladder. The downside of this type of treatment is associated with unpleasant side effects.