Hi, my child was admitted because of watery diarrhea, ad the doctors told me that he has bacteria called Hafnia alvei. I never heard for this bacteria, and I need to know if it is dangerous. How is it treated?

Hi, daughter has Hafnia alvei too. It was isolated in her stool when I took her to a hospital because of the watery diarrhea. Hafnia alvei is a gram- negative bacillus that belongs to the family Enterobacteriaceae. It can be found in different environments, and it can cause intestinal disorders. In human, this bacteria can even cause conditions like pneumonia, meningitis, abscesses and septicemia. Hafnia alvei strains are susceptible to netilmicin, ciprofloxacin, and imipenem. Those are some things that I read in the library and that doctor told me. I hope I helped you a little.

Did either of you get treatment for your child with hafnia alvei. I had sudden watery upset stomach and it has now been going on a month. The only thing that came back with my ova parasite c diff tests was a heavy growth of hafnia alvei. My doc does not want to treat it stating it should not be pathogenic. If your dhild was treated what did they use and how soon did symptoms go away? What doctor did you go to? Thanks so much.

I am trying to find out about the above bacteria. I do not see where I can pm the above posters but I do have an inbox. Can someone help me. Thank you :-)

Be careful with what you read, A much more serious bacteria Escherichia albertii was misidentified as Hafnia alvei in 1990 and was found to be something different and renamed in 2003, which means a lot of work and identification as Hafnia alvei as a source of human enteritis/gastroenteritis maybe be false and actually be a different organism all together. Great easy (long) read...http://cmr.asm.org/content/19/1/12.full

Either way, both of these organisms are bacteria and can be treated with a round of antibiotics.

I was diagnosed with Hafnia Alvei bacteria just recently. I live in MA  and was told it has never been found in this region before. I would like to know everything about it, how I got it, if it ever leaves your body, what are the chances of getting it again. what care should I take.  I was treated with I V if antibiotics.

My son has continous problems in his gut.
My gut bacteria were perfect. I went to the US for a month period to take care of him, and in the last 2 days I got watery diarrea that goes on for over a month now. I did a stool test and I have a new bacteria hania abney and high inflamation. Its obvious that th is the reason. So tell your Doctor that this bacteria causes IBS and IBD

My husband died of hafnia alieva in 1996 along with ecoli. I was told that it made his kidneys shut down. It's horrible disease and doesn't really make sense in a human being....