There have been only two medications used for IBS so far and their benefits were not always seen. This is because it is not yet known what could be causing IBS symptoms. IBS is truly an annoying disorder very hard to treat as people have different symptoms and react differently to possible treatments.

It is thought that one of the causes could be bacteria that naturally live in the gut. To prove this, health experts did a study and treated 87 sufferers with either 400 mg of rifaximin three times a day for 10 days or a placebo. Rifaximin is an antibiotic approved for travelers' diarrhea and sold under the brand name Xifaxan. This antibiotic managed to reduce symptoms like bloating, cramps, diarrhea and constipation for as long as 10 weeks after it was given in a 10-day course.

The benefits IBS sufferers had from the antibiotic show that excess bacteria in the gut could be the main cause of the disorder. It is amazing that the symptoms didn’t appear again after the initial course of treatment ended.

This finding certainly represents a new hope for people with IBS and their treatment.

Hello Every One,

I am a 36 year old guy.
I am suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome disease.
Can anyone tell me about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) treatment?
What are the reasons of this Disease?
Do you have any idea about its cure?

Thanks.