Ok here we go. This is a tough one I hope someone can get me some answers for. 2 weeks ago ( 1/16) I began getting some cramps in my lower abdomen/pelvic area. The next day I started to get diarrhea. The stool was greenish/yellow and way sometimes watery and sometimes like fluffy clumps that sank to the bottom of the bowl. This continued for a week and on Friday the 24th I decided that even though I was having these bowel issues and that I had been living on yougurt and soup only that I would try to eat a large meal (tacos). BAD MOVE!!!! Within a half hour after eating I became extremely bloated and nauseous for about 3 hours. I did notice that 8 hours later that there was lettuce from the tacos in the toilet. Does this seem like it is to quick to digest and pass? Anyways, through the weekend I ate barely anything. Keeping my calorie count around 800 calories. On Saturday I went to Quest and had them do a complete set of bloodwork and send it to my doctor. The next few days were hell. I was very gassy and bloated and I was only going to the bathroom twice in the morning after getting up and that was it. Both times were short bursts of diarrhea. On Tuesday I saw my GP at 11am and told him what was going on. He felt around my stomach and I had no pain when he was pushing down at all. He listened to my abdomen and said that he could hear a lot of noise. He weighed me and said that I was down 8 pounds in the last month since I saw him but that he was not to worried because I diarrhea and I was eating very little so that was probably the reason for the weight loss. He sent me for an Xray to check for an obstruction and a stool test to check for parasites and bacterias. The Xray is negative and the stool test results wont be in for a while. The last few days have been a little better. I have had less bloating and cramping but have noticed a lot more stomach acid production. I also still have the same toilet habits, dont go all day and feel bloated until I lay down at night and then I start to feel better. I sleep well, with no pain and dont wake up in pain in the morning. I usuallu have 1 bowel movement about a half hour after waking up and it is watery diarrhea. Shorty after I eat breakfast the cramping will begin and then Im off with another day of cramps and being uncomfortable. I have also noticed the last 2 days an increase in stomach acid and feeling nauseous after eating. Im not sure if this is tied in with everything but it probably is. Here is a little history on me. I am 41 years old, married for 22 years with 4 children ranging from 21 to 7. I am currently 295 pounds (yes overweight) and take 50 mg of atenelol for HBP. I have had digestive problems over the last few years and my doctor did some food allergy testing and found that I am allergic to wheat 4/6, corn 2/6, egg whites 1.5/6, Peanuts 1.5/6, Walnuts 1.5/6 and shellfish 3/6. I dont really watch the foods I eat as I have never had problems in the past. Im wondering if they are catching up with me now. I am really worried about any type of cancer. If anyone has any clue what this could be I would truly appreciate any input that you may have. The last 2 weeks have been hell and its seriously beginning to affect my life. This came out of no where, Im actually hoping that the doctor tells me its a bacteria or a parasite in my stool. Thats pretty bad when you hope for that!! Thanks everyone and have a great day!

Hello sabbathman,

Initially it sounded like you had/have a bacterial infection and you still may.  Greenish/yellowish fecal matter sometimes means bad food (bad bacteria) in something you ate.  Quite often this is not serious and can pass so long as it's not Salmonella or E. coli.  However, your report on your allergies (gluten, nuts etc) may make matters worse.  Gluten sensitivies have been known to bring about irritable bowel syndrome (this is different from irritable bowel disease).   You need to replenish your mineral (salts) and drink a lot of water because with diarrhea you can become quickly dehydrated and that is serious but easy to take of (try a adult like pedialyte).  Take everything out of your diet that your are allergic to NOW!  Yogurt and soup is no good diet.  You clearly have digestion problems at this point and this could do damage to your intestines. Try some oatmeal in the morning (no sugar added) with some fresh fruit in small amounts.  Stay away from bread.  Try some fresh veggies steamed and more whole fruits and small amounts of meats that are lean or fish/shrimp etc.  That's a start and let me know what happens.     

Hello Susan, Thank you for your response, it is greatly appreciated. I have been drinking a lot of water and Gatorade. The doctor said that I was doing the right thing in regards to that and that I wasnt dehydrated. I plan on starting to follow a strict diet as I now know of the damages that I have been doing to myself. How long can IBS attacks last for? I know its a lifetime disorder but when it flares is 2 weeks normal for an attack? What are the chances of this being some type of cancer? Thats my biggest concern, and I certainly would love to get some sleep tonight lol! The anxiety is probably the biggest thing affecting me right now. Thanks again for your time, Paul