I just had a total proctocolectomy done with ileal anastomosis as a cure to Ulcerative Colitis. The doctors have scheduled a take down in the coming fortnight. Although my doctors have not advised me any dietary restrictions, however i find that certain foods which previously used to be ok with my system now cause a lot of watery stools. Items like cheese, milk, ghee, buttermilk, sweets, chicken (generally used in indian preparations) were well accepted by the body now give me a lot of trouble. I thought the surgery was going to solve problems, can you please tell me how to approach this problem.

You're probably getting watery stools because of a lack of probiotics. Probiotics are good bacteria that live in the gut and help a person digest food and have a stronger immune system. If there aren't enough in the gut, it can cause bowel issues such as diarrhea, constipation, and a candida overgrowth. Probiotics are essential for digesting dairy, and the sugars and spices in the Indian cuisine are probably killing off any remaining bacteria, so that could explain why you're getting watery stools.

I suggest you go to a health food store and get a bottle of probiotics. Of course, call your doctor to make sure that it's safe. You generally want to rotate the probiotic strains you get, so after you finish one bottle, switch to another. (DO NOT take probiotics from a supermarket or pharmacy because these are generally low quality. Most are also unrefrigerated and if the bacteria are not refrigerated, they could die.) Start off by taking the maximum dose on the bottle. If you'd like, you can see if you can go down, but since you have digestive issues, taking the maximum is probably beneficial. Don't worry if the maximum dose is too much; if you get too many probiotics, your body just dumps it out.