Few days ago I heard my father talking with his friend about some condition called Hashimoto's. Can you tell me more about it? What is this condition all about and is it dangerous?

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is a type of autoimmune thyroid disease in which the immune system attacks and destroys the thyroid gland. Hashimoto’s stops the gland from making enough thyroid hormones for the body to work the way it should. The common symptoms of this condition are fatigue, depression, sensitivity to cold, weight gain, forgetfulness, muscle weakness, dry skin and hair, constipation, muscle cramps, etc. Some patients have goiter, a major swelling of the thyroid gland in the front of the neck. There is some evidence that Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is hereditary so a person is at a higher risk of developing one if autoimmune diseases run in the family. Hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's thyroiditis is treated with thyroid hormone replacement, with a small pill taken once a day. These pills should be able to keep the thyroid hormone levels normal and in most cases, they need to be taken for the rest of the patient's life. I hope that you are happy with the information that I have provided you.