I always had weight problems. I think this was hereditary for my family, because my parents and most of cousins were overweight. Few days ago I have heard thyroid gland is important for metabolism. I don’t know if that might be reason for our weight and some other problems that we have. That’s why I would like to know more about hypothyroidism, because I have heard that means person has slow metabolism.

Hypothyroidism is condition in which the body lacks sufficient thyroid hormone. It’s understandable that people with this condition will have symptoms associated with slow metabolism. The reason is that main purpose of thyroid gland is to run the body’s metabolism. There are two causes of hypothyroidism that are fairly common. First is result of previous inflammation of thyroid gland, which leaves large percentage of the cells of thyroid damaged or dead. The most common reason is autoimmune thyroiditis, which is form of thyroid inflammation caused by patient’s own immune system. The second major cause is broad of medical treatments. Symptoms of hypothyroidism are fatigue, weakness, weight gain or increased losing weight, dry hair and skin, or hair loss. It’s harder to tolerate the cold like people around you, which was called cold intolerance. Constipation, depression, irritability, and memory loss are also some of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Since hypothyroidism can often be diagnosed with a simple blood test, or some more details, you should visit your doctor and check it out.