I was talking to my doctor who discovered my organism is not working as it should. Actually I haven’t noticed some extra changes, but after some tests he wanted to perform, it was possible to confirm diagnosis he doubted. He said I have thyroiditis. I didn’t know absolutely anything about thyroid gland or this kind of its disorder. Now I want to know more about throiditis, because I think it’s easier to handle with disease if we understand it.

Thyroidits is an inflammation of the thyroid gland, and not an infection, as someone might think. There are several types of thyroiditis and treatment is different for each of them. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is also called autoimmune or chronic lymphocytic thyroidits. This is the most common type that occurs in the world when we talk about inflammations of thyroid gland. Since that thyroid gland is always enlarged, treatment is to start thyroid hormone replacement. This is to prevent or correct the hypothyroidism and also to generally keep the gland from getting larger. De Quervain’s Thyroiditis is also called subacute or granulomatous thyroiditis. Thyroid gland is generally swollen rapidly and is very painful and tender. Treatment is usually bed rest and aspirin to reduce the inflammation, occasionally cortisone and thyroid hormone. Silent thyroiditis is the third and least common type of thyroiditis. The blood thyroid tests are high and radioactive iodine uptake is low, but there is no pain.

I have suffered with an under active thyroid for about 10 years. in all that time my levels have only been close to normal once. recently I have been suffering with sharp pains in my head followed by extremely sleepy attacks where i feel like my brain is going to sleep. A friend has told me this could be "pituatry failure". Is this true? If not what is it?