I am so worried about my father. He is 59 and recently he was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I would like to know more about this condition. Is it dangerous and how is it treated?

It is normal that you are worried about your father. I will try to explain this condition as simple as possible. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is a type of autoimmune thyroid disease. In this condition immune system attacks and destroys the thyroid gland, it stops the gland from making enough thyroid hormones for the body to work properly. About 75% of autoimmune diseases occur in women and some patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis may have no symptoms. The most common symptoms are fatigue, depression, sensitivity to cold, weight gain, forgetfulness, muscle weakness, constipation, muscle cramps, and increased menstrual flow. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis can have a hereditary link so if autoimmune diseases in general run in the family, the chances for getting it are higher. Hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's thyroiditis is treated with thyroid hormone replacement a small pill that needs to be taken for the rest of the patient's life. I am sure that you father will be ok.