Hi, I'm 44 years old and 3 years ago I have noticed an increasing lump on the front of my throat that got bigger and bigger as the time passed. I went to the doctor and he did some tests on levels of thyroid hormones and determined that I have hypothyroidism developing. At first I was given synthetic thyroxin to try to put the hormonal balance back to normal but although I was reacting good to treatment the lump got bigger. I'm scheduled to do a thyreoidectomy next week. What happens during that procedure and will that finally make me feel better?

Thyroidectomy is a procedure of partial or total removal of the thyroid gland. The indications for such a procedure can be hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism with or without developing the goiter and cancer of the thyroid gland. You have a condition called goiter, that is enlargement of the thyroid gland caused by lowered production of the thyroid hormones. The body tries to make up for the lack of hormone by increasing the volume of the hormone producing tissue. Goiter is removed by performing what is called invasive thyroidectomy. The big horizontal incision is made in the middle of your throat and the gland is taken out. In patients with thyroid gland tumor surrounding lymphatic nodes are removed to prevent possible metastasis of the tumor. The surgery itself will not help you much you will still have to be on treatment but at least the lump in your throat will be gone. Good luck and get back to us with some good news.