Hello. My mother recently experienced some symptoms that we all thought were caused by some simple cold virus or flu.
Symptoms included intolerance to cold, mild weight gain and constant fatigue.
We first time noticed that something is wrong when she started to loose her hair and experience heavy and irregular menses.
After some testing, doctor diagnosed her with some serious disease called Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.
He prescribed her some drug called levothyroxine. Any additional information about this disease will be more than welcome.

I will tell you some facts about this disease but before I do that I must tell you that I'm sorry and that this is one very serious disease.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is a type of autoimmune thyroid gland disease in which the immune system attacks and destroys your own thyroid gland.
In this disease main problem is deficiency in thyroid hormones so it can usually be treated with thyroid hormone replacement.
You have mentioned levothyroxine drug. This drug is nothing more that replacement therapy for thyroid hormone.
If this deficiency disappears- treatment may be limited to regular observation by a health care provider.

I am 30 yrs old and was diagnosed with pcos and hashimotos disease
within 4 months of each other. I had weight gain, severe hair loss,
and felt sick all the time. I take yasmin for pcos and immediately my
hair started growing back and has remained due to this hormonal drug.
However, weight gain, thryoid problems and insulin resistance plague me
to this day. I cant seem to find a doctor/endocrinologist that can listen to
me. They look at me as a test result and nothing else. This is a very hard combination. I have tried every diet and currently eat around 900-1000 calories a day and still have major problems losing weight. I do not
eat sugar or any bread,pasta or white flour product. My opinion, it is a losing battle. I would try herbal treatments to see if they can help.
Coconut oil is supposed to be good for the thyroid and raw organic apple cider vinegar is supposed to be good for weight loss which both I take.
good luck....anyone out there had success with this combination??

ok.. this might be helpful and might not be...
when u say this disease is where the immune system attacks an organ.. and in ur moms case, it happens to be her thyroid gland..

my dad has a similar disease.. but instead the immune system attacks his eyes..
so his eyes keep getting worse and worse..

one thing that has helped him (his situation is severe)... is injection of steroids in the eye.. which kinda makes the immune system weak at that point..

so just look into it so incase it might come handy for ur mom too.. if god for bid things get worse..
there is also some drugs that doctors only prescribe under crazy conditions..
like if the person is gonna die 6 monnths .. theyll make the person last longer by giving strong medications that are used when ppl get organ transplants... but these medications totally kill other organs like kidneys..
im just giving u what i know.. sorry if i cant be more helpful

hey I am 29 years old and I have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years now. I have always taken really good care of myself, but since my doctor has told me that i have Hashimotos I have realized that it ha sbeen a lot harder to control my blood sugars and my body has bult a resistance to my insulin. Another thing is that I get streap throat ALOT and Im basically sick of feeling like sh*t all the time. I have been trying to research this Hashimoto stuff and I am kinda confused. My endocrinologist has NOT put me on any medication for this and I am going to see him this week and ask him why. Are there different types of Hashimoto diseases ( I know I sound really ignorant, sorry). Jeez you would think Having type 1 diabetes, having a deaf kid and living with your in laws would be hard enough 8-| ...sorry to sound negative . Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :-D
Haela

Just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one! I also was diagnosed with both PCOS and Hashimoto's within 3 months time! I have found that taking burdock root, Estroblock (DIM), and milk thistle have helped with acne and reducing my fasting blood glucose levels. I take St. John's Wort to ward off depression, and cinnamon, vitex, and inositol for the PCOS. I also take zinc, biotin, a vegan multivitamin, selenium, vitamin B12, vitamin C, vitamin D, an adrenal support complex, a probiotic, and a low-dose aspirin. This is in addition to metformin XR 500mg and 75 mcg tirosint. I take the adrenal support (Gaia brand) 2 tabs with breakfast and lunch. I take the Estroblock, milk thistle, burdock root, vitex, cinnamon, and inositol with every meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner). It's a lot, but it's my little routine that helps. I also follow a vegan diet. I started taking a shot of apple cider vinegar in the mornings, but I don't know if I can keep up with it. The taste! Ugh.