I went to the doctor today and he was feeling my neck and said that my thyroid feels swollen. Can any one tell me a little more about thyroids and what can cause them to swell? I have no neck pains or symptons.

Well, enlargement of the thyroid gland is called goiter and it can have a lot of causes.

Almost all thyroid problems cause the gland to swell. Whether it is overworking or under-working, the gland will swell. This gland produces hormones that are responsible for our metabolism.

Besides from problems with the thyroid gland itself, there are other things that could be causing the gland to swell. Some medications, like lithium (antidepressant) would make thyroid swell. Also, some people have inherited tendencies for thyroid swelling.
Also, the gland may swell when in the periods when the gland is naturally producing more hormones like in adolescence or during pregnancy.

Disorders involving thyroid gland include grave’s disease which is an autoimmune disorder that makes the gland produce too much hormone and make it swell; inflammation of the thyroid, called thyroiditis, hypothyroidism, which means that the gland is not producing enough hormones and when the hypothalamus and pituitary gland make it produce more, it swells.

Most goiters are painless and have no symptoms other that swelling in the neck. The gland may be swollen but still work properly and produce enough hormones.

I am sure you will know more after having some tests done. You may undergo an ultrasound, biopsy, and a blood test to check for hormonal levels.