I know very well that infestations by head lice become most apparent at the beginning of each school year. Somehow, my daughter is always affected. I am always one of parents, day care providers, school officials and healthcare professionals that frequently seek information and solutions to this burdensome problem. That is why I want to hear more about head lice, and the best treatment.

Head lice or Pediculus capitis are small parasitic insects exquisitely adapted to living mainly on the scalp and neck hairs of the human host. Their six impressive legs are elegantly evolved to grasp hair shafts. It provides a striking example of biological specialization. Long associated with people, head lice were recovered from prehistoric mummies. Head lice are equal opportunity parasites, which mean they do not respect socio-economic class distinctions. Their presence does not connote a lack of hygiene or sanitation practiced by their host, as many people think. Head lice are mainly acquired by direct head-to-head contact with an infested person's hair. Beside this, it may infrequently be transferred with shared combs, hats and other hair accessories. Treatment should be considered only when active lice or viable eggs are observed, itching of the scalp or the perception that something is crawling on the head do not warrant treatment for lice.