Here is my story.

In late February I noticed that my legs were itchy at night. I spent most evenings at my girlfriend's condo, and she started to feel a little itchy, too.

Suspect #1 -- new laundry detergent. She bought something different and my legs were the only thing touching the sheets under the covers. We switched to hypoallergenic detergent.

But it kept spreading. The reaction and itch were worse for me in heat and in sunlight. Showering was intolerable -- my skin would instantly react to the hot water by breaking out in "hives" and making me feel dizzy.

So I went to the doctor when things didn't clear up. Who wants to guess the diagnosis?

Contact dermatitis.

So I asked, "How could both my girlfriend and I come down with dermatitis at the same time?" No answer (she isn't allergic to ANYTHING).

So they treat me aggressively with steroids and tell me to stop using hair gel and other products.

The steroids really do the trick -- no itching at all. Unfortunately the infestation just runs wild without displaying symptoms.

The steroids run out, the itch comes back worse. I *beg* for more steroids. Nights are intolerable and the "dots" as I called them have spread to my genitals, my buttocks, and my inner thighs. It is a nightmare to look at and just terrible to endure.

My doctor does a punch biopsy. The diagnosis?

Contact dermatitis.

I then contemplate getting rid of the cats (which I love) and never using soap again. The doctor gives me an injection of steroids and tells me to go see an allergist.

I go see the allergist and tell him my story, but the steroid shot is masking the problem. He asks me to come back the following week and take a battery of allergy tests. When I return the following week and he can see the nightmare that my body has become -- particularly the stomach -- he says, "You have scabies."

I was mortified.

He prescribes Hydroxyzine for the itch and a load of Permethrin for both myself and my girlfriend.

At the same time my girlfriend sees the old doctor they have on campus and he immediately says, "You have scabies." She gets prescribed Lindane.

After reading up on the scabicides we decide to both go with the Permethrin lotion as Lindane seemed more a "second-line" or last resort. I applied with one half of the tube and she used the other.

At first I felt much better, then I starting feeling bad again. I always felt that something was moving on/in my flesh, and at times I felt like pins were pricking into my body. The itch became less intense, but still present.

We both did a second dose of Permethrin at the one week mark. Afterward we still showed signs of having scabies -- "dots" both new and old and itching.

I went back to the allergist. He said I looked much better, but he wanted me to try a few more treatments of Permethrin. My girlfriend decided to do the Lindane last night and today she says she feels completely better.

Tonight will be my third treatment of Permethrin in a month. I am hopeful.

Then I read these forums and people have this for years at a time. I feel like crying.

So far I have spent around $300 on medical bills and treatments. My girlfriend paid a whopping $150 for the Lindane.

Reinfestation is my biggest worry. I look at everything with suspicion, from board games to my computer keyboard. I wash everything over and over, drying multiple times. I have avoided driving for three days to keep away from my car. I vacuum constantly.

The effects of this ordeal have been devastating. I can't believe that my relationship has endured. We haven't slept together in a month. We've only been dating for five.

Comments? Questions? Advice? Concerns?

I know how you feel. I have been to the doctors three times. Each time they told me something different. First it was Scabies, then lice ect...
I was told by the phamacy to use lysol to spray the beds and floor to kill the lice. Then I thought I should just spray it on my body. Well it seemed to work :-D I was really happy about that. The bad thing is I keep getting it back and I cant figure out were it is coming from. I think it is also in my belongings, beside the carpet and cloths ect.. I am worried it will become ammuned to the lysol spray. So try the lysol. I know it works because my face looked like I went on a picking frenzy, and it cleared up. Also get the lysol you use in your laundy.
sincerly hopeful
harlojean

PLEASE DO NOT SPRAY LYSOL ALL OVER YOURSELF. ESPECIALLY NOT ON YOUR FACE. NO MATTER HOW BAD THINGS ARE LOOKING, HAVE COMMON SENSE.

I cured my scabies with lindane after 2 Perm treatments (and a couple hours of cleaning every day). It's toxic but it works. Buy from Canada online and buy more than one bottle per person as bottles are small. Don't forget your hair. Spot-treat any new spots afterward with Permethrin and leave on 24 hrs. Continue all your cleaning every day for a couple of weeks. Also cover yourself with any kind of heavy lotion or oil after your showers, for some reason it creates a barrier. Good luck. I did it and so can you.

I just started using Dial Antibacterial Soap... after permethrin didn't seem to work on me or my boyfriend.
I also understand that scabies has been cured by soaking in a bath with 2lbs of sea salt, every day for five days. This will completely get rid of the scabies! good luck

My story is exactly the same. I got diagnosed with contact dermatitis. Got prescribed cream FOR contact dermatitis. It helped for a little while with the symptoms. When I stopped.... the "dots" and "itching" came back with a vengeance. Legs, waist, genitals, buttocks, inner thighs, knees, behind the knees, ankles...

I'm going insane... I'm on the my third treatment of permetherin and I also was prescribed hydroxizine. I know you posted this about 4 years ago... BUT, did it finally go away???????

I just gave it to my co-worker.... and we work from home. MY PLACE. Great. :-(

So... anyway, I put my mattress on the balcony. I can't afford a new one. I'm sleeping on the couch... and I'm gonna throw the couch on the balcony for a week too once the mattress can come back in.

I'm on day 3 but still see new dots and new itching??? Every medical text regarding permethrin says generally cures after 1 treatment and the other 2 are just cautionary and the second treatment in a week from now is also just precautionary....

So does it work or doesn't it?????? Can anyone contribute to this???

Permethrin works very well when applied, thoroughly and massage it in to every crease and fold(as well as your whole body, also did the face and scalp(can never be too safe)), clean everything that u use every day, I use lysol wipes, wash all clothing and linen in hot water with bleach(any detergent too to go with Ur load) and dry everything, I always do 60-80m. DO NOT FORGET your car!! Vacuum it, wipe down with Lysol wipes and(or) bleach with water and use RID(R&C up in Canada) and bomb it with that, leave windows down, it will be stinky, at least four hours to air it, come back with Lysol aerosol to help mask the smell and added killer, people just have a hard time reinfecting themselves. Couches, u can cover with plastic/Vinyl (same as pillows) and wash pillow cases. or throw a sheet over it. Dust in the air? On bookshelves? Dust and disinfect it cuz mites can travel on Ur dead skin but most importantly!!!...Have hope and do not read all the bad stories. Mostly everyone is actually in "post scabies" but think they still have them or a retard and don't know how to use the lotion correctly, do not read the bad stories, it will play in your paranoia that you will have trouble getting rid of them. Just be prepared you have a battle with housework, it is important to be a germ freak for the next two weeks,,,good luck all

Well i was sent to mental health, blood tested and pee drawn...i still have the crawling and itching, doctors say if i dont see it i shouldnt feel it, even though "EVERYONE" i come into contact with starts scratching within a minute or less...No idea what i should do.

I'm trying to find every site that I visited while infected and hopefully help someone else. My daughter was infected for at least 4 months before she was properly diagnosed and by that time my grandson and I were also infected. We tried everything that the drs. prescribed, hunfreds of dollars worth of natural cures, and everything that anybody even mentioned. I finally came across a post written by a nurse that had worked at a nursing home for nine years and was used to dealing with and cureing it. She said fill your bathtub and put about 5 to 7 capfuls of bleach in it. Immerse yourself up to your neck and stay in for about 20 min. repeat this later in the day. Probably went a little overboard and did this for about a week but I felt like I was losing my mind. We went a little further than that and kept some bleach solution on a tub in the bathtub and everytime we thought we even saw a new bump we applied the bleach solution. The relief from the itching is almost immediate. It was incredible. We wash our hair with dandruff shampoo too. Don't know if it helps, but it won't hurt. After 6 months I feel like we're finally regaining our lives. What a horrible nightmare it's been! Just hope this can help someone else like it did us. Good luck to everyone! 

Ms. Parks,

I was wondering whether you are still doing the treatment or whether you have been cured? My husband, myself and two children have been infected for over 2 months. Doctor and home treatments so far have been unsuccessful. Very desparate and despressed at this pont. Would like to try this. Please reply, even if this did not turn out to be a cure I would like to know.

Myself and my son have been infected for little over 2 months now. I went to the Dr. Three times and still no help. Was injected with Steroids, four different medications, blood drawn and finally ended up going to Dermatologist. My GP kept saying I was having an allergic reaction to something. Dermatologist stated I have Scabies, I was horrified. I was prescribed ivermectin take once a week for three weeks, and wash, wash and wash some more. I am still itching really bad and I feel no relief now I have only taken one dose of meds but I feel like I am going crazy. I would not wish this on anyone.

DE - (diatomaceous earth) and Vitamin C. This is the cure. I tried all the kooky things with oils and bleach, the RX stuff from the DR, etc. -they eased the itching but did not make them go away. DE & Vitamin C worked. One month straight take the DE orally and sprinkle it all over anything you touch. Continue to keep clothes, bedding, etc. clean - one use, etc. Take 3,000-6,000 milligrams of the Vitamin C daily plus any multivitamin, because if you've had it a while, your immune system is weak - and I found this to be my issue. Good luck, and please pass on to other boards such as this. P.S. I got the DE online - about $25. Took as much as I could, 1 tbsp in the a.m. and one in the evening.

did it work and how long did it tae Ive had it for mod, 1st they said it was dermatitis, then it was exzima, I know it is scabies cause my brother has it and I was helping him clean, do taxes and laundry, started on my hand. Now I'm scared, gave it to my 85 yr old mom. What will I do? Someone help me. I need some advise. (She does't bathe for fear of falling she sponge bathes. and she doesn't clean either. I am out of work till I get better. Help!

Scabies.... natural remedy and low cost and non toxic... research Diatomaceous Earth (Food Grade) it kills mites. scabies are mites and it sucks. if the mites are sarcoptic mange(highly contagious) and you can get it from pets and give it to them too. I am mixing 3 parts Diatomaceous Earth to 7 parts grapeseed oil mix into a paste and rub it on your "bites" (scabies are mites that bite you and some folks get an allergic reactions to the bites) I also take a hot shower at night and then rub the pasty stuff on me (feels like a lotion and a little tiny bit scrachty) I take benedryl for the itch relief. I am powdering my cat n dog and all the furniture and baseboards. do not breath the Diatomaceous Earth as it can irritate you and not very healthy for your lungs. YOU must apply for 3-4 weeks straight and if you can treat the bed with it ( use a bed cover , they are usually availble for allergen protection too, that will quarenteen the bugs until they die) also treat the yard if you can with diatomaceaous earth to prevent reinfestation. (if it is dog mange it can be transmiited to dogs without dogs actually touching each other. so yea its highly contagious. I am seeing an allergist to confirm what kind of mite it is. Peace and do not dispair. by the way the DE costs about $6 for a 120z can and goes a long way. (if you have pets..... cats n dogs - start to add about a 1/4 or 1 tablespoon of Coconut oil in their food once a day, to kill parasites from the inside out ( the coconut oil need to be added gradually to their diet so they do not have adverse reaction like diahrea or toxins from the parasites dying off inside and out. Peace out.

hope you are feeling better... if you are not... i have recommendation... fumigate for mites and do the DE + immune boosters like garlic, vitim c etc. - the main reason some scabies keep coming back is that some are very contqagious because they survive off the human and pet bodies for days and weeks. this makes reinfestation possible... medication works and then stops working as they build immunity to it except DIatomaceous earth it is not medication it is an application of a typeof silica that kills soft body bugs. Also be advised that EVERYTHING needs to be treated simultaneously. this means beds, sheets, furniture, floor, curtains, clothing, towels, yard outside, car, and your families bodies at the same time for 3-4 weeks non stop... I would do it longer to make sure they are gone.. reason is the life cycle of mites (scabies are mites) is interspersed and you kill off adults and eggs hatch weeks later. bummer I know. Peace out.