Okay, this might sound weird, But every now and then I get a buring sensation inside of my head when i turn my head quicky. I get it usually at the bottom near my neck or back behind my ears. Is this normal, because whenever i tell someone they always ask me what I am talkign about? %-)

The same thing has happened to me too! I feel like its when i move my head too quickly I get a sharp burning hot pain at the base of my head and if you touch my scalp it literally feels like its burning, you can feel the heat off of it. Its really painful and I see spots and get dizzy too. What is this?? Does anyone know?

I also get a burning sensation in my head a couple of times a week.

Your symptoms seem to suggest that there is a pinched nerve in your neck. A qualified chiropractor could possible help you by adjusting your neck.

I've had this all my life! normally when im doing exercise n move my head in a funny way, it just jolts all the way up my neck into the base of my skull and gets hotter for about 5-10 seconds, crippling me with pain. But after 2-3 of the peak heat it subsides and its like nothing every happened straight after!

This may be a muscle spasm. Like a mini crick in your neck. You get them when you overextend a tensed muscle. I work out everyday, which leaves my muscle very tense and if i dont stretch when im sitting infront of the computer too long and suddenly jerk my head ... BAM! i get one. it burns very hot and feels tingly and sore, usually last a few seconds to a minute. So my advice, as it works for, is to stretch out everyday all day. Stretch after being in the same position too long. do some head rolls, just a little can help. The burning is most likely lactic acid in the muscle. just like when you work out your muscle, they burn the same way. Hope this helps.

i get the burning sensation as well, my dad gets it too, however, no one else in the family does. But when i get the pain, my tongue gets tingely and goes numb...this i do not think is a muscle spasm. I have had this my whole life.

I have also had this happen to me as long as I can remember. It may only happen once a year. Typically follows a quick head turn and then the burst. It feels like warm liquid spreading up my skull. It usually renders me a bit dizzy for a few seconds and then it ok again. I have also asked others if it happens and always get a strange look and a No. I would be very interested in understanding this more.

I've had them intermittently all my life, too. I also do not know anyone who has ever heard of it (other than those who have posted here). When I have told any doctors, they act as though they don't believe me. I, too, would like to know what is the reason for them. It happens when I turn my head quickly. I do have a LOT of trouble with C7 and muscle spasms... it could be related. I have had several sessions of physical therapy the past few years for that C7 and frozen neck. Two orthopedics have done x-rays thinking it's a bad disk and wanting to do surgery. I had an MRI 3 years ago and then the doctor backed down from surgery and sent me to pt. PT thinks I have some really strange nerve wiring.
I wish someone would post on possible causes of this strange phenomenon - and what kind of doctor would diagnose it.

I would be hanging out with my friends. I would hear my friend call my name from behind. As I quickly turn my head in response to face the speaker, a sudden burst of intense pain shoots right up to the base of my head. The pain is so excruciating, I have to stop and freeze for that moment as i grasp my head tightly with my hands. This would go on for a short 4 to 6 seconds. Thereafter I feel a burning sensation that throbs and gradually eases down. 10 to 20 seconds later it would feel like nothing ever happened. Its nowhere close to a pain of an awful headache. It actually feels like the inside of my head is in flame. I have been experiencing this since my childhood. It happens so unpredictably, and it won't happen with every turning of my head. I feel like it has to be at a certain angle and tension when turning my head to feel this pain. If Im lucky this won't happen for months. Other times I've had it more than once a day. Im just blessed to have this never happen while I am driving.

Your description is exactly as mine. I too have mentioned this to others and they look at me like I am crazy. Lately, I have had it happen up to 4 times a day, with the burning sensation lasting much longer. The pain isn't there, just a slight burning sensation from my neck to my ears. It seems as if my neck has become very weak since I had a really bad episode while standing in line to pay for items in a store. The people there did not know if I was having a heart attack or what; I was so debilitated with the pain for a bit, they just waited and watched. I am glad to have found this blog; at least I know there are others in the world with this and I am not crazy. It is a very difficult thing to explain.

I get this too! My mother does as well. Happened more frequently when I was little, but still get it on average once a month if I'm lucky. It is seriously the WORST pain I've ever felt in my life when it happens. It's a searing hot pain that makes me double over in pain and everything goes white. Not black, everything goes white. Usually happens when I turn my head too quickly, but once in a while I "can tell" that one is coming on, so I don't turn my neck to try to avoid it. Well, it hits me anyway.

The searing hot pain lasts for about 5-10 seconds, and then I'm left with about a minute or two of recovery time where I still feel like I'd rather die than have to go through the dull searing pain in the back of my neck/head.

I haven't ever asked a doctor what it was...just knew I wasn't having a stroke b/c my mother said she got these too all her life and she's still alive, lol.

I assumed it was something everyone experienced till I got one at work the other day and my coworker looked at me like I was nuts when I told her it was because "I had turned my head too fast".

I've had the same thing as well for years! I asked people about it, and would receive the same reply as mentioned in these previous posts. No one knew what I was talking about, so I chalked it up to hypochondria :-). Even nuttier, but I think you all can relate, is the Brett Michael brain aneurysm situation. He was on Oprah today, and explained what happened to him as a pop and then similar sensation we have all felt (except his turned into a major headache and lasted much longer). I was ready to call my doctor right away, and then did some research and found this site and at least know now that this is not just happening to me. The last time it happened was two weeks ago while I was driving. I turned my head quickly to the right, felt a pop and then felt something like hot liquid spreading across the right side of my neck and head. I couldn't lift my head up so I had to sit at the red light I was stopped and when it turned red I still could not move. It's temporarily debilitating and very scary.

I have had this problem as well. It usually happens when I turn my head quickly and it feels like a bubble that has bursted in my head and a burning sensation (like hot lava spreading out in a small localized area) follows. After a few seconds the pain goes away. This would happen very frequent when I was a child but now I might have this bursting sensation about once a year.

Hi everyone,

I,ve had this problem of intense burning on top of my head for 5yrs now and it drives me up the wall I am usually in tears with it I have now been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia I have been taking Gabapentin now for 2yrs and now they seem to not be working, the burning is now actually keeping me awake at night so I'm not sleeping. Hope this has been of help to anyone.