For the past 3 months, my boyfriend and I have been battling bodylice.  I have never experienced something so awful and horrendous as this in my life.  We have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it...prescription meds...over the counter meds...industrial bombs....showers...showers...showers...laundering everyday...we have spent almost $1000.00! AND STILL NO RELIEF...ACTUALLY...IT HAS GOTTEN WORSE!  I am at my wits and everything else's....END! I can't live like this anymore...covered in bites from head to toe...trying to "hide" them and pretend there's nothing wrong.  I am comptemplating "awful" things like gasoline...kerosine....anything that will KILL these things, because I am beginning to think they will live forever!

If anyone HAS SOMETHING/SOMEWAY  to kill these awful things other than bathing/laundering etc. that will work....PLEASE...PLEASE....PLEASE...tell me how to do it!!!!!

I am ready to just give up.

Thank you.

hello lovepigs,

oh good god. i live with my mother and she got body lice in october. thankfully, its over now:O yes it is possible to for the parasites to go away.

it takes a lot of patience and organizing. it made my mother very hygenic and organized (she didnt have a choice in order to get of rid of scabies), so a positive point.

she bought this pesticide (chrysanthemum flower based)-containing cream . the brand is called NIX . i used nix brands once when i had head lice.

its like this cream you apply EVERYWHERE on the body, xcept inside the vagina and on penis (gential-internal areas)

you leave it on for 14 hours or so and then you wash it off.

i applied a bottle of Nix cream on me for prevention and i never caught the body lice.

the active agent in this cream kills the parasite of body lice.

it took 3 procedures (3 bottles of nix cream) for my mother to really irradiate these annoying lil buggers. but sometimes 1-2 is enough.

she put all her worn clothes in a closed plastic box, then washed it afterwards. did the same thing with her bed covers, washed it everytime. she was so sick of washing shed sleep in her lazy boy (i didnt go near it for a while lol)

see lovepigs, apprently it takes 3 days (can be 10 days for the eggs) for them to die without human contact.

so the clothes in the plastic bin (she used plastic bags you can close too), well if she didnt wash it immediately and waited 3 days, well most of the body lice died anyway. i think its a question of isolating them when you can, and use the pesticide cream.

OH, and use hot hot hot water to wash your things. my mother got rid completely of her body lice at the end of november . so almost 2 and a half months of battling these (?&*?*?%&?$% lil things

we found out a lot of these tricky tricks by searching on internet and asking pharmacists.

regards, take care.

i wish you good luck and have patience.

viniger drows them out right away, you can see them coming out and falling off. you can also use listerine (antibiotic). Even windshield washer works on your body and cleaning your home. Epson salts baths 3 times a day till there gone. I know this stuff works from personal expierance.
Hope this helps it almost drove me and my wife crazy.
P.S GARLIC draws them out if you have them in delicate places. eat it to but make sure your neer the bathroom

Still looking for someone with the answers. Mom and I got ours in late April this year. Way too many people don't know that cooties (the real body lice are not at all related to scabies) and that it takes a nuclear warhead to get them out of a house once it is infected. I have read several places that people moved out of their house for 45 days and when they came back last of the lice sprang to life again and their hell started all over. Mom and I just can't afford to do that. Have you had any luck since you posted your letter?
Kind Regards, Ray Tilton

TRY NIX CREAM ASK YOUR PHARMACIST

I would try DE (diatomaceous earth) and Vitamin C. Read up on DE - it kills them physically. You may have a weakened immune system so take extra vitamin C and a multivitamin. I did this for scabies, and even if the lice is unrelated, could be the solution. Best of luck to you or anyone afflicted with these horrible critters reading this comment.

lovepigs wrote:

I am ready to just give up.

Thank you.

Dear lovepigs: retilton at this end. I'm still dealing with the genuine cooties body lice which are the only ones which live quite well for long periods of time off their human hosts. I assume that you speak of the same insect from hell. Have you had any luck yet. I have tried all the natural products like the diatomaceous earth and rosemary peppermint oils, sprays etc. I have also tried every form of permethrin you can get with and without prescriptions. Please let me know. kind regards. retilton

I actually have body lice its not fun at all have you tried washing ur stuff in warm water if it cant be washed try putting it in a plastic bag for 2 weeks and when I went to the doctors they gave me cream that my mom had to put on me and then the next day i had to wash it off try going to minute clinic they treat u real well its at Cvs plus i will itching for 4 weeks

Hey If your still having problems with these bugs please contact me through email

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I know of some ways to hold them back but haven't found a way to fully rid them!

Hi...I had body lice twice....got it from two different people at two different times..apparently its an epidemic in portland or...u will need to get pure peppermint oil..un diluted...its gonna burn like hell then make u really cold for about 30 min so get a heater and blankets....take a shower by rubbing pure peppermint on ur whole body and rinsing...before rinse let it sit for about a min rubbing it in hard while its sitting on your skin...you must avoid the clitoris and inside the vagina..or get ready for an hour or two of pain and a day of sensitivity. Get a dropper and put the oil directly on your scalp all over...let it sit for about an hour and shampoo...I did my hair before my shower and rinsed all at the same time. You will need to put your clothes in water that has reached boiling...remove from heat and let sit for 20 min...be prepared to ruin a lot of clothes...or bag them for minimum two months and wash..the eggs hatch and rehatch so it takes several weeks for them to die when bagged but boiled water kills eggs and lice..but ruins some clothes...I found that normal color jeans are ok..but my shrink a little...do all this twice a week for two weeks...put plastic on your matress and change to new sheets nightly until u feel no biting..then change them every few days...I boiled my sheets and only put on new ones...vaccum and put trash bags on your car seat...vacuum furniture daily and only sit on it fully clean clothed or stay clear of it for a few weeks but still vacuum...its tedious but works...I had them for months before developing this system..good luck!

Get in an hot epsom salt bath. I know what you are going through.

I have been battling body lice since April 4th. At first, I didn't know what was causing itchy bites on my body when I woke up in the morning, but have since seen a bug and confirmed with pictures on line that it was a body louse. These extremely itchy bites are typically on my legs, torso, or arms. I'm afraid that because I wasn't aware of what was going on at first, that I spread the lice through out the family/house. I appear to be the only one who reacts strongly to the bites. My 2.5 year old son never itches (but appears to have tiny bites along the line of his diaper or torso), my husband occasionally itches (but doesn't have visible bites), but I am severely bitten and itchy. Thank god my newborn has yet to show any bites, but I'm terrified because I am breast feeding him that it is just a matter of time. For the past 3 weeks I have been vacuuming the house every day. Additionally, I wash everyone's sheets/bedding daily in hot water and then dry them on the dryer's high heat setting. Every night we shower before going to bed. All clothes and towels immediately go into a plastic bag that is carried to the laundry room where it is also washed and dried with high heat. In the morning, the same process is followed: we shower again and our pajamas and towels go into a bag that is then laundered. Every morning, I take our pillows and put them in the dryer on high (since I can't wash them) for a minimum of 30 minutes. We have encased all mattresses and box springs in bed bug certified encasements. I even started sleeping by myself in the spare bedroom and have made our poor dog sleep downstairs in his crate alone (after finding a bug on my bed where he had been laying). I've taken all of our bedspreads, decorative pillows, stuffed animals, etc and placed them in tied off plastic bags where I plan to leave them untouched for over a month to ensure any potential eggs will be dead. We even put our couch in encasements and have wrapped our upholstered dining chairs in plastic. I wash my 10 week old newborn's bedding separately from everyone else's as I am very fearful of spreading this to him. He doesn't get 2 baths a day as I thought that would be harsh to his skin, but I do change him into clean clothes every morning and pjs at night that have all gone through the hot water/ high heat cleaning/ drying process. My doctor prescribed 5% permethrin body lotion. My husband, 2.5 year old son, and I have applied it twice (with a week in between applications). I have not applied this to the newborn as I'm worried with how little he is. I feel like I've done everything I possibly can, yet my family is still being bitten! Yesterday was actually even worse as I woke up with 15 bites on my body! Can you please provide guidance on what else I should try? The suggestions on line for battling body lice are not at all helpful..to just bathe and change your clothes at least once a week and apparently don't be homeless is not at all accurate. I really have no idea how we picked this up and even less of an idea at this point of how to get rid of it!Please help me with any suggestions....I'm desperate at this point.

I helped a homeless lady who was very nice over a period of 6 months. I rode her in my car and she came into my home one time. I ended up with body and head lice...or body lice that is also on the head. This may be one of the worst things I have ever went through. I have health issues and my liver is not in great shape. I do not want to use pesticides...I am able to stop them from biting me and I am keeping them to a minimum but I am not getting completely rid of them...the funny thing is no one else in home has it. They seem to like me as if they know I have health issues....I think listerine helps...rubbing alcohol on the body kills them...vinegar helps gets the nits out ...tree tree helps...but I really think the problem is in my clothes...I am going to buy a few new items...and not wear any of thm...they have been washed in hot water dried..rinsed in vinegar...but obviously still alive...I am going to try peppermint oil....and espson salts...I actually cried and prayed one day....saying I can not do this anymore...it is awful...I am determined to get them completely out of my house...

it sounds like some of the people who posted here may actually have bed bugs.

I have been itching for about 2-3 weeks now and I found a couple of very small bugs on my body and until today, I thought they were bedbugs. I had even scheduled to have an exterminator come out..which I will probably still do, just to make completely sure that it is NOT bedbugs. I am the only one who has actually found bugs on me, but sometimes my kids will have bites in their armpits or itch in different places. I have been searching the internet for the past hour or so and it sounds like body lice is visible to the human eye, so I am not understanding why we are itching so bad when we cannot see anything. I do not have medical insurance, but once I determine that it is not bedbugs and I won't have to pay $1100 to treat the house, then I am definitely going to pay out of pocket to see a Doctor and see what they say. I'll probably also try some of the methods listed here, alcohol on my body and washing clothes in vinegar. I've already been doing the hot wash/hot dry for at least 30 minutes because that helps bedbugs too..and thats what I thought it was. I hope everyone finds a solution to their problem quickly.