Every time I take a shower, I get an insupportable itch, which turns to pain when I can't avoid the scratching. It occurs only when my body dries and it lasts for half an hour sometimes. My dermatologist found that I had some kind of dandruff and gave me antihistamines, Zyrtec (4 hours before shower) – but they didn't help very much. I began to avoid my bathroom, but then the itch appeared spontaneously. Can you suggest me anything more efficient?

In these cases of sever cholinergic urticaria, I think that it would be worth trying a nonsedating antihistamine like Allegra or Clarinex. They may suppress the itch. Since your dermatologist indicates dandruff as a cause, I would recommend you Cutivate cream to keep it under control.

My wife also suffers from the same burning itch as her wet skin dries. It happens after showering and often after sweating. Her dermatologist has prescribed varying dosages of antihistamines zyrtec and allerga, courses of steroids, and the antidepressant doxepin that will reportedly relieving itching. Nothing has had any affect.

Hello, I have suffered with this for years and have found exactly WHAT it is. It's called Aquagenic Pruritis. Here is the link:
home.tiscali.nl/aquagenic_pruritis/

I have searched and searched. I could NOT take a shower without taking a Xanax (thanks mom) about an hour before going into the water! See your doctor/dermatologist. I have been taking asperin and iron supplements, but everyone is different. There is also a Yahoo! group for this disorder, which is usually hereditary. Hope this helps!!

HI JANY, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I BEEN SUFFERING FOR OVER 20 YRS, I BEEN TO SPECIALIST I WAS TOLD MY BLOOD WAS TO HIGH. I WAS TOLD 20 YEARS AGO TO TAKE 2 ALLEGRA ONE HOUR BEFORE TAKING A SHOWER IT DOES WORK, IT WORK EVEN BETTER IF YOU TAKE A SHOWER IN LATE AFTERNOON. I TAKE ONE OR TWO SHOWERS A WEEK. HOPE I HAVE BEEN SOME HELP. MY NAME IS EVELYN. ( DECEMBER 30 2006

Try removing wheat from your diet. I suffered from this for over 5 years. Dermatologists, Allergists, Practitioners, etc. couldn't help me. I didn't find relief until I went to an acupuncture specialist. She told me that I had a food allergy. It takes about two weeks to clear out of your system, but I can say that I've been free of itching for 4 months since cutting wheat out of my diet. It's difficult, but well worth it in the end.

I have the same problem as everyone else and the only thing that works for me is to lotion BEFORE a shower.

I want to say THANK YOU to all, I accidently found this site when searching for answers of why this is happing to me,,, I use to think I was going crazy with all the severe itching that was going on after contact with water,,, I am still searching for answers to make it stop, but now have some ideas of what I can try,,, I will tell you all that I have had this problem for about 30 yrs,,, ( I am only 46 so I have it for almost my entire life, ) it can make one depressed!! BUT I can tell you that Tanning in a bed helps control the itching also, its the only thing that has helped me!
I want to figure out why we have this problem, what causes the body to have this diesase!
Thank you ALL and god bless!

I have had this itching for about 9 years or so now (I'm 29 now). Due to my lack og health insurance (until about a month ago) I haven't seen any specialists about it. At first, I thought it may be due to high mineral content from well water which i was on when this first occured. Since then, I have been on city water and still have the itching. After reading a bit about it, some sources claim that it can be hereditary, so I contacted my mother, and asked if she ever suffered from it. She told me she did for a while, but that was back when she was a lot younger, (late teens, early 20's). She also said that she read that it could be a temporary allergic reaction to warm / hot water. I have tried lukewarm to even colder showers and it doesn't help. Oddly enough, if I have a sunburn (even a slight one) due to working outside, I don't itch after showers. My only remedy that I have tried thus far, is just rubbing down with lotion as soon as I towel off from a shower. I usually only itch on my back, chest, and forehead area. I don't have any known allergies to date. I will try some of the recommendations I have found here, and report back. Thank you all for your input.

My 17-year old daughter went to her dermatologist and he said he's never seen a patient with her condition. He told her to take claritin twice daily and to limit her showers to 4 minutes. She'll also have to give up her job as a lifeguard. He also said this may become lifethreating if her breathing becomes affected. Not what she wanted to hear! Are there any natural alternatives?

Hi All,

Thought i was going mad. Can't believe i've found a forum for this condition. i've had it a few years now and all doctor's, about 7 or 8, I spoke to had no inkling to what it was.

I've had it about 3 years now. As a earlier post suggested, i think it might be diet related. I know when thresholds for certain foods are reached in your body, you can suddenly become allergic to that food.

And I know certain gene groups , e.g. irish etc, are more allergic to dairy products than other gene groups.

Thanks for confirming i'm not a nut!!!!!!!!! ;-)))) ha

For me its always my legs which are affected, no where else. And the temperature of the shower has a direct effect on severity of itchiness.

Will check back with the forum on my progress.

Thanking you all,

I'm 37 years old and I started suffering from itching after showering about 2 months ago. It was great to find this page but it is also a bit depressing to hear that this maybe a life lasting condition. At first, I blamed on an allergic reaction to a lavender soap. Tanning seems to help it but not too much. Interesting, after swimming and showering I don't feel itching. I notice that lately I switched to non-dandruff shampoo, I will go back to try using dandruff shampoo and see what happens.

I am a 21 year old guy. I've had this same problem for 2 years now. I can understand what the ppl who posted here go throught.

I too have seen several doctors but none of them have any idea what is happening nor have they ever heard of a condition like this. And none of there recommended treatments have helped (like using heat pouders and lotions).

For me the only way to ease the itching is to heat the itching area (for me that is the whole torso, especially the back). Even rubbing my hands together and pressing on my body relieves the pain.

As far as i am concerned the next medical marvel would be to find a cause and cure for this

I have sufferred with this shower itch for 10 years now. Through trial and error, I have come across some things I noticed regarding me and this condition:

1) I do not have the problem if I take a hot shower (I mean as hot as you can stand it). This is the main relief I get from this symptom. Some of the other posts on this thread mention heat as a source of relief so there may be a correlation there. Once I found this out, it has caused me great relief. However, if the water is warm, I still have post shower itching.

2) After taking a shower, dry yourself thoroughly but do not rush. I find it helpful that after I shower, I dry off and dress in front of a cold source like a fan or air conditioner. Also, do not rush in drying and get dress right after. I noticed that if you rush, you are more likely to get overheated from the exertion and this also causes itching. There is that delay between the end of the shower and itching (about 8-10 minutes). I find it more bearable if I am dry and mostly dressed at that time.

3) I use a moisturing soap like Dove which helps as well.

4) If you can't take a hot shower, then it is better to take a quick shower which someone else mentioned on this message.

I happen to use Head and Shoulders and someone mentioned not using a dandruff shampoo. I will try that. I haven't got much if any relief with allergy medication so I don't use that. Hope this is helpful to some of you. I will write back more if I find any more helpful tips.

Polycythemie Vera can be the cause this is one of the symtoms! dus check it out

guest