Hello everyone, new guy here.

My question is I keep getting pimples / zits on the back of my head and all over on the side, this has been happening for YEARS, at this point Im 25 and I think it's time to find out what is wrong. It looks like it happens more when my hair is long, I use to have a nice clean cut hair, but some times I brake out with all this pimples and it really hurts to sleep.

Could anyone tell me what can be? or if theres something I can take to help this? I really dont have the time to go in to get check by a doctor or anything like that, but if it's my last option I guess I will have to do this.

Thanks everyone!

I am in the EXACT same boat as you. I cannot figure out what causes these breakouts on the back of my head and sides. On the back it's mostly just on the sides right behind my ears. They do hurt quite a bit and makes getting a hair cut kind of embarassing. I have been told to switch to a shampoo for oily hair, even though my hair itself is not oily. The scalp creates sebum which can clog the pores and create breakouts. We'll see if this works as I plan to pick up some new shampoo today. Good luck!

I have had the same thing for about 7 yrs and I found something that finally worked for me. its cheap and you can find it at walgreens if not you can order it online. It's called "bump stopper 2" their is also bump stopper but the "2" works best and fastest I put it on each night. but to start off I'd say to put it on in the morning after you shower and then right before you go to bed. shower first though so you dont have dirty hair at the time. my started to clear up within 3 days YMMV however it is completly gone! the kicker is I have to always keep using it but it's well worth for the 4.50.

any more info on this? I've been getting alot of pimples in the back of my head recently and I don't know what the cause could be! :-( ...It's kinda emberrassing to get hair cuts now...

I have same exactly problem for many years now, I went to so many dermotologists, they keep giving me different anti-biotics, it doesnt help. dont know what to do either, now I heard that honey helps.

Israel wrote:

Hello everyone, new guy here.

Thanks everyone!

i had the same problem i have found that the more you sweat the worse it gets, try washing your hair every morning with a mild shampoo and then spray with leave in conditioner try and avoid wax and gel as i found that also made it worse. after a few weeks it should startto clear up. it could also be that the shampoo and conditioner you use is too strong for your hair

I have always had the occasional blemish on my face and on the side of my head until I stumbled on to this blog. I started trying and assortment of reccommedations on here. Here is what worked for me for the last 3 months with and I have never been able to accomplish the results I have.
I am blemish free always.

1. Wash your hair with Head & Shoulders for oily hair. It comes in a blue bottle and is about 2x the amount as the regular in price but works. Wash hair once a day.

2. Use a cotton ball & Dickinson's witch hazel and gently scrub the problem areas on your head. Do this 2 times a day/morning & night.

3. Apply Acne Free Terminator 10 cream onto troubled area at night.

4. Change Pillow case 2x / week. Guys wash or buy a new pillow before doing this.

5. Take Vitamin B5 also known as Pantothenic Acid 500mg

Cleared up in a week and has not returned.

For your face I have found this works the with the same results:

1. Use Acne Free Wash & exfoliator
2. Use the Dickinson's Witch Hazel right after
3. At night 2x a week use Freeman Clay Mask, let dry wash with water
3. If at night I use the Acne Free Terminator 10 cream (it has both10% Benzoil Peroxide & 1 % Salicylic Acid) If Morning I use Neutrogena Rapid Clear Oil free face lotion.

I hope this helps you the way it did for me. All of the about products can be found at dept store like wal-mart meijer or drug store.

I asked my barber about this one day....and he asked if i drank a lot of beer. I drink only on the weekends. He said excessive beer drinking causes those pimples....i did a little investigating....and the common denominator in most people was alcohol consumption.

It's not alcohol. I am Mormon so I don't drink a drop.
However, I have had bumps that show up fairly regularly on the back of my head for years. Have always had skin problems.
I am 29 now and most normal acne is gone, but I seem to get deeper, cystic acne everyone once in a while (normally just one at a time). Let me tell you, that is deeply disturbing.
I did find out that wearing a heart rate monitor on my chest collected sweat there and I would get them right underneath in the chest area.
So I ditched the heart rate monitor.

I think I might try the bump stopper 2 that the other person mentioned.
Good luck everyone!

Some guy suggested using dial antibacterial soap. Another guy gave this a shot and discovered that it worked. Others suggested exercising regularly because the sweating, in a way, helps clean out your scalp. A lot of people mention how head and shoulders helps (which is the shampoo that I use). My doctor suggested using Selsun Blue (the kind with MENTHOL) as it gives you that cool minty feel after showering.

I know how you all feel. It's so painful to have these red bumps/pimples on your head because it not only hurts (literally), but it's also embarrassing. Everything's going to be alright though, so long as you do your best to manage the problem. And I guess that's the secret to all of this because I too (like so many of us) have tried everything that our doctors prescribed, but found none of them to be helpful.

From personal experience, I've found that exercising, and not stressing out too much, can be very helpful. Also, GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP! I've discovered that not getting enough sleep really makes things worse. I'm currently a college student at UC Berkeley, and these past couple of months have been extremely stressful. Assignment after assignment, midterm after midterm, and because of that, I haven't been getting enough sleep (I've pulled all nighters several times), and I haven't been able work out at the gym. And what do you know? these break outs have been occurring. As I type this, I have red bumps/pimples all over my head (back, front, both sides), and they itch like crazy.

But anyway, it really depends on who you are because in reading other people's responses, you'll see that they find different ways for dealing with this problem.

However, I'll stick to what I said earlier, and I really hope you all do the same, or continue to, and that is: 1) exercise regularly (everyday or as much as possible per week, for at least one hour per day, and BREAK A SWEAT! don't just go to the gym and look around), 2) get enough sleep (at least 6-8 hours), and 3) try not to stress out too much (do this by hanging out with friends, or doing something that'll get you off of thinking about these red bumps/pimples).

Just hang in there. I'm 21 years old, and I've had this problem since I was in junior high. It destroyed my confidence, but at the same time made me a better person because my condition made me want to treat people better. Also, I say we use this to our advantage. that is, let's use these crazy red painful and itchy red bumps as a reason to go to the gym. As one person said, at least it'll help us stay in shape, right?

I wish you all well. Take care.

p.s. someone needs to get rid of that stupid confirmation code.

I have a simillar problem with zits on my head. I came accross a citre shine revitilize shampoo that imidiatly did away with them. The problem is I have searched and cannot locate a boottle of it anywhere. I'm back to square one.

I have also have a severe problem of acne on the back of my head. It started when I went to the middle east, but that was 8 years ago now, and it is still a problem.

I get really nasty pimples on the back of my head only. Nowhere else. They bleed and form pustules, and no dermatologist seems to know exactly what it is. I have tried about 20 different shampoos (including presription), anti-biotics (pills/topical/etc), and even Neosporin. No such luck. I now have quite a bit of scarring there too. I am considering checking out Proactiv.

It is quite a problem for me because I am military, and have to maintain a short haircut.

Hope a dermatologist chimes in!

Guest wrote:

I wish you all well. Take care.

I've also found exercising quite helpful

(I'm Taiwanese, 15 years old)

My own way is quite similar. But..
Exercising is very helpful. It doesn't even have to be doing cardio-whatever stuff, you can even dance to sweat it out. Note to remember to clean yourself up after you exercise because (I think) if you just let it dry, the pores will be clogged up with the sticky/oily sweat on it :S

Another thing in my case is watch your diet. Some foods might have some small side-effects on you. For me, I used to drink pearl milk tea everyday. That was when I had a lot of them on me, including my back. After 3 months of drinking milk tea for once a week or something, most of my pimples cleared up. However, since it's summer. I have a bad habit if sleeping very late. lololol.

Well I hope this helps.

Guest wrote:

I wish you all well. Take care.

Hey, thanks a lot. My brother has been ranting on me with these pimples, so I want to get them away. I'll take your advice as well as all others.

i am so glad that other people have the same problem. not because i like to hear of their pain, but because i thought i was alone.
My problem is so bad that i cannot lie down on my pillow, my hair is mid length on the sides and back and you can still notice, there is random bleeding, people notice i bleed, it so embarassing. its gotten to the point that i cry from the pain.
if there is any one solution that someone has tried and its not too expensive and its effecive, let me know. my social life would really thank you.