I've looked everywhere online for help regarding these horrible symptoms that plague my skin. There are so many different conditions, and reasons why people suffer from these annoying and painful things. I say "things" because I have not been to a doctor or dermatologist, and I do not know exactly what they might be.

Here's some background:

I'm 23 year old. I've suffered from these for about 6 years. I cut my own hair, it has been 10+ years since I've been to a barber shop. I'm fairly unhealthy, but nothing crazy, I'm 5'5" 130lbs. I am 1/2 african american, 1/2 hispanic, my hair is dry, thick, and wire like. I would describe my scalp as drier than most, but it can get oily from time to time. I do not typically get facial acne, and I did not, even through puberty. I have no allergies, I am sensitive to coffee and some dairy, but that is a whole different list of symptoms. I drink alcohol occasionally, usually just socially approx 1-2 days a week.

The best way to describe them:

-They look like normal Acne pimples
-Sometimes they are the spawn of ingrown hairs
-Typically red,"hard" in nature
-They have a puss type liquid inside, and they do not always pop. -This liquid crystalizes on occasion, can be white, clear, or bloody mixture.
-They leave scars if messed with too much.
-They are sensitive to any type of weight or touch.
-These appear mainly along the crown of the scalp, but sometimes will be directly on top of my head, or lower towards my neck line.
-Occasionally I get nasty large, painful cystic nodules that may or may not be related. They appear on the back of my head, in the hair and above the neckline.

Possible causes:

-Because I cut my own hair I sometimes think that there is some infectious virus transmitted through my clippers. I use rubbing alcohol and Oster Kool Lube from Sally beauty supply to maintain my clippers. I cut my hair once a week, sometimes more often. I've stopped cutting it completely for 3-4 weeks before, same symptoms.

-Typically once every year or two, I buy new clippers, but I typically just buy generic or conair brand clippers. I've read something about the way "dull" or cheap brand clippers severe hair can lead ingrowns as it leaves the ends jagged. Sounds like nonsend but I fade my hair from a 1/8" on the sides, to a 1/4" on top so its technically short enough for this to make sense.

-I'm not a snob about shampoo, I'm all for convienience. Recently I used Neutrogena T/Gel Daily Control shampoo/conditioner because I thought it would help, but it didnt. Now I use some suave humectant shampoo and conditioner. I've used shampoo/conditioners that aren't combined, cheap and expensive, to no avail. I use no gel, pomade or other hair products. 

What I've tried:

-Neutrogena T/Gel Daily Control shampoo/conditioner
-Rubbing Alcohol 3x a day
-Acne spot treatment
-Ice or Heated compress
-Locating, tweezering, and needling specific spots.
-Anti-biotics
-Allergy Medication i.e. Benadryl

Anti-biotics only work while I'm taking them, any topical treatments like alcohol, peroxide, vinegar usually help to heal "popped" zits, but aid very little in preventing them. Ice/heat helps reduce swelling, and the agonizing pain that keeps me from laying my head on my pillow. Allergy medication usually reduces swelling, and actually slowly treats these, but it puts me to sleep. Hydrocortisone cream helps the bad nodules, but doesnt get rid of them.

Overall I want to try and diagnose what the heck is wrong with me. The longer these go untreated the more scarring I develop, and the more embarassing and painful these become. I can post pictures if it would help.

Thanks everyone in advance if you have any ideas.

See a dermatoligist. They will take samples and culture them too find out EXACTLY WHA what is going on whether its fungal or bacterial. Good luck

Thanks for the reply, I decided to go to the dermatologist, i did the research found one that accepts my insurance and called for an appointment. They can't get me in until next thursday. and the acne on my head has never ever been this bad. It's painful to rest my head or sleep. If it was just a cosmetic problem I could deal, but its so painful, constantly right now. I'm losing my mind.

Gday mate... Your not alone champ. M 36 and have tried everything you have and to no joy, everything from Doxycycline to shampoos. I exercise 6/7 days a week, I eat very well, I wash my hair with a million one different lotion and potions prescribed and over the counter ones.

After I shower I put more lotions and potions on.

My pillow is washed every 2 to 3 days. I have been to a dermatologist and they said the Doxycycline i was on would not be doing anything as I had been on them for 2 years. She said 2 to 3 months max I should have been on them.

So after more shampoos, creams and BS i am still in the same situation as you.

I am going to see another specialist in 3 weeks as I have been on there waiting list for 2 months. I will keep you posted on there solution.

If you can mate just where a hat and grow your hair a little bit. I know its really hard but DON'T PICK, I cant stress that enough. 9/10 you never get that popped you feel it needs, it just pushes the infection deeper and makes that effected area even bigger. Put something on it to dry it out. Do this a couple of time a day. Try using something like a steroid cream, this apparently gets rid of the redness and swelling.

I have spent that much time looking at these things with mirrors in the bathroom it is insane, it really starts to eat you up. I have stopped socializing as I'm to embarrassed that some one will see these.

Good luck, ill let you know what this $300 for 15min Dermatologist says.

What did the dermatologist tell you?

I think I am going to go have this biopsied very soon, it still is yet to go away and it is painful and ugly.

I have exactly the same problem down to a T!! Go to your doctor and get a medication called Zineryt. It is the only thing that works for me. I apply it twice every day, once aftera morning shower and once before bed and it totally clears my skin up altogether and I only get the occasional spot. I've been using it for just over 7 years now and it's still as effective as the first time I used it

I have the same problem . My doctor said it ingrown hairs that either can brake the skin an get out or they are hard and Curley and grow back into the scape and start an infection. Google ingrown hairs . I haven't really found a product that works. I did use a shampoo that is called nizoril for years it's an antifungul shampoo ,now I can't find it. They had trouble at the factor and recalled.I hope they get that figure out so I can buy it again. Good luck.

I have basicly the same problem,when I dont eat or drink anything w/sugar,it seems to help. also drinkng more water seems to help also..

Maybe you should try 100% raw african black soap, alot  of people swear by it. As it works to clear many skin problems. Make sure you get 100% organic, I buy mine from R&G naturalz...you can google them.

Stez63,

I have the same exact issue! Did you ever find a solution?

I have the same issue, I think.   I started with a hard cyst type thing on the back of my head.  Then I had a terrible headache and I got these red bumps on my scalp.  It seemed like the headache got worse until the bumps popped and then the next day I'd go through it all again.  My doctors said that it was something that happens to women sometimes and it is stress related.  Through all of those tests, it was also determined that my thyroid was off and actually producing none of the hormone that it should.  After 6 months of thyroiditis, the bumps and cysts are gone - along with the daily, mind crippling headaches.  My advice - get your thyroid levels checked.

Hey man, here is a solution that will help you feel 85% better. 1st you need to made a solution to numb the pain. Get a bottle of alcohol, pour out a 1/3 of it into another container and save it . With the 2/3 filled with alcohol , pour some witch hazel into that bottle and about 25 aspirins into it. They will dissolve and make a white liquid. Use the liquid to stop the pain by putting it on your finger and placing it on the spot that hurts..

2) Get a real aloe leaf from the supermarket. This will be about a foot long and cost about $2.00. Cut a small slice off, starting from the tip of the leaf. About 5mm. Cut open and rub the gell on the affected area. Let it soak in and let it dry. This will soften your skin and help after about a week of daily use. Remember to cover the cut aloe with foil tightly and place in the fridge. This will make it last for weeks just by cutting a piece off at night and using it before bed.

3) This step is a little tricky but this will allow you to operate on yourself nightly until the problem goes away. You need a portable dvd player, tweezer man splinter tweezers, a $10 desk lamp and a small camera ,thin sewing needles and a 5ft rca cable and a 3rd pillow.
You will be able to see and take out 90% of all ingrown hairs yourself once you remove the infection and dig out the hair . You will have get your wife or girlfriend to take out the deep ones.

4) The above works best if you attach a small camera to the light.
5) If you need pics, email me for pictures and directions

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Scott

I have been dealing with this for a few years now. I have been to 4 different dermatologist over the past 5 years and they all came up with different answers and possible solutions. I have tried several steroid based creams and ointments, way too many antibiotics, thousands of dollars worth of meds, soaps, shampoos, herbal remedies, you name it...nothing has worked...all the doctors and medications could do nothing to help me. Some stuff would seem to be helping, but after a brief improvement the horrible skin disease would come roaring back. Now, after all that said, I may have stumbled upon something that helps...I've been applying to my scalp with Q-tips for 3 weeks and it seems to be really helping...It's an old first aid antiseptic called Apinol. You can find it online. Good Luck!

try teatree oil,worked for me