hi,
For the past 3 years I have been suffering with a strange pain on the left side of my head. It first started out as a tingling at the top which got worse. I went to a neurologist who recommended a nerve block. I took two of those injections at the base of the neck just behind the left ear, however that did not help. I did an MRI and the results were assymmetric ventricular vein (left vein measured 5mm while right 13mm)which was said to be a birth defect and a swollen espenoidal sinus. I was prescribed flixonase which did no good. The pain just worsens. The side feels inflammed and swollen. Whenever i apply pressure to it with my fingers pain shots down to my neck and ear which also feels blocked. Sometimes a sharp pain shots through my neck where i was injected and down my left arm. I extracted a wisdom tooth which I thought was causing the pain since biting hard foods caused pain but it was no help. The other jaw teeth are decayed and biting down hard on them now causes them to pain but its isolated in the jaw. My head pulsates and burns and is worsened with lack of sleep or long hours infront a computer. My jaw feels sore as well and feels tight on opening and closing. Sometimes a bad tasting fluid comes down the back of my throat from my left nostril. I get nauseous and depressed and i forget things very easily. I also find it difficult to concentrate due to the severity of the pain at times. When i move my eyes i feel a sorta bubbling or tearing at the back. The left nostril get blocked. A spot on the left side of my spine hurts at times and it feels linked to the pain in my head but i cant be sure. Sometimes breathing in srongly cause a burning sensation at the back of my head as if a nerve is exposed. please what can this be.

I too have his pain on the left side of my head about 3 inches above the tip of my ear. The pain is piercing when it comes, andseems to come out of nowhere. It first came on about 8 years ago and a neurologist put me on Prednisone for a week, then he changed me to depakote. The pain disappeared with the continued use of the depakote, but I was putting on so much weight, that I stopped taking the depakote about three years ago. Well, for the past 18 months to2 years, the pain has returned, and it really bothers me. Sometimes it appears at the same time I am having a migraine headache, and I am so antagonized I can hardly stomach it. I am a Kaiser patient, so I doubt if I will be able to find a doctor to help me. I would gladly pay an outside doctor- out of my own pocketif I knew where to find a good one. Well thanks for listening. :-(

I am relieved to know that someone else understands what I am going through. I just wish we could find doctors who can too and provide us with a good solution. I am tired of going from one doctor to the next. Well the last neurosergeon I saw recommended that I do an MRI of the spine and finally a problem was discovered. It happens that my cervical spine has a slight degeneration in the c5 - c6 section. Therefore, the nerves are being compressed causing muscles tension and neckpain. Lyrica and norflex were prescribed which eased the pain a lot but made me dizzy and nauseaus. A bone specialist also reviewed the MRI and gave the same diagnosis. Advised me to use an over door traction device which i haven't ordered as yet and ultra sound of the muscles. I am anxious to try those because i am desperate for some relief. My left ear and nostril are still blocked and even more painful that before not to mention that hard crunchy feeling on the side of the head and jaw. Sometimes I feel like shoving my hand through my skull and pulling out the offensive nerve or vein or whatever. Its so depressing to deal with this problem. God seems to be the only one to provide total relief. Please lets all pray for each other to receive that healing.

I have been suffering from this same pain for 2 months now. I have had MRI all negative I have tried muscle relaxers, prednisone, antibiotics, High blood pressure meds,nothing works. I also get a funny taste on the left side of my mouth when the pain comes. I also get pressure at my sinus area. Does anyone know what is causing this. Please Help...

I also have a simular pain its starts out as presure on the top left side of my head and sometimes i can feel something pop and then the pain shoots down my neck and sometimes it makes my legs tingle and most of the time i can feel it shoot all the way down to my finger tips and then the tingling sinsation. I'm not sure what is is i have had cat scans and the works and they come up with nothing and just say its high blood presure. I think other wise. jus the other day it started up when me and some friends went out to eat and i thought i was going to have a ceasure my left eye closed tightly on its own and it made my are lock up. I'm 23 years old i've never felt anything like this. every time it happens i think i'm going to drop dead. if any body has any ideas i would love to hear them.

It sounds mean, but to find people with the similar pain in somewhat comforting because all I think is any minute know I'm going to have a stroke. I've been dealing with this for almost 3 years now. I've done 3 MRI's, and have been to 2 neurologists, cardiologists, gastrointenologist, you name it. Anyhow, no cause has been found and they make me think I'm nuts. I can't even lay my head on that side, sometimes where it hurts stays sore for days (sore to the touch as if I banged my head). Now I'm seeing this eye specialist who said I have my left optic nerve very swollen and has put me on Diamox for the past 5 months. My headaches that came along with the pain have decreased a bit but this pain is still persistent and it is very irritating. I think the doctors can't figure out what it is and this Diamox treatment is really not the answer. I hope there is a doctor out there who reads these and can really give an educated opinion on this. Good luck to all of you out there; but at least we are alive and there are many worse things out there. Thankfully!!

Hi eddiecarrie, what you describe is exactly what I had 9 years ago. MRI was fine, so I put it down to stress and anxiety. The only thing that stopped the pain and tenderness in the left side of my head was anti-depressants. Now it's back but I think that's because I'm facing gallbladder surgery and have lots of other medical problems. The headaches are severe but I'm actually not worrying about them because I know they will probably go after I have my surgery. Hope that helps. Vix

i have experience the exact same pain, i notice that the pain is not regular, but it's start at the top of my left side of my head, the pain shoot down my neck behind my left ear, it was so bad i could not go to work that day. i notice when i don't get my rest, or enough sleep the pain starts again, some times i wonder if i am having a stroke or not.800 mg of motrin helps.

I am wondering if what you are experiencing is TMJ? Temperomandibular Joint Disorder (jaw disorder)? I have from this and suffer from intermittent neck pain, headaches (on the left side of my head as well) my jaw will sometimes feel like I just spent the day chewing giant gumballs, tense and sometimes achy. I can hear an internal creaking noise when I yawn or at times, when I chew food. If I open my mouth like when I yawn it feels and looks like my jaw goes out of alignment. This condition from what I have read can contribute to a host of problems that sometimes doctor attribute to other things. Learn about it, see your dentist (or a dentist that specializes in this area.) You might try wearing a night guard. Especially if there is wear and tear on your teeth. A dentist will be able to determine pretty quickly if this could be a source of your problems. Stress can make the condition worse. I tend to hold all of my stress in my jaw. I sometimes chew chewing gum during the day, and nightguard at night. This is something you should look into.

not too long ago i have been a similar pain on the left side of my head, it comes and goes and sometimes i feel as if its like little shocks on random spots on my head at times as well. I have no idea what it could be honestly, im kinda hoping that its just because one the wisdom tooth on my left side of my teeth is starting to come out again. Mainly where i feel it is about 2-3 inches and above my left ear. I havent really consulted a doctor or anything and gotten it all checked out. If anyone who knows about it, that could reply back would be great.

I too have been having what i call odd problems from the left side and top part of my head. Now i can touch and rub it with my fingernails. That makes it feel like there are tiny sores up there. This odd feeling comes on and off for along time that i can't remember when it started. I suffer from panic disorder and OCD and depression.. But then again i have alot of problems lol. I get very sever pain in the back of neck and head for a very long time now comes and goes but when i get it it lasts all day no pain meds help at all.. About two months ago i was admitted to the ICU for a week with Bacterial menigitis,

I also have had the same problem for the past 2 weeks I went to the doctor and he said is just stress but not sure he is right but i sure hope so

I too have been having strange sensations on the upper left side of my head on and off for about 6 months......when it first came on it was more severe and seemed to be associated with sinus drainage. I asked my Dr about it and she didn't think that the sinus would cause the feeling i was experiencing. Now when it comes almost daily it's toward the end of the day when I'm tired and sometimes during the day when I'm working and tilt my head to the side I feel a tingling pressure. also is tender to the touch, like I hit my head on something but I didn't. It also seems to appear under stressful moments which is 80 % of my everyday life! So it's a relief to share this and I'm considering asking for an MRI, but sounds like it won't do much good according to some of the other posts here.

omg..i have been getting these pains too, i think you guys should read up on neuropathic pain.. i have an MRI next month and i am very scared.. im on 18,, pains kick up and i think of the worst... my eyes swell up, hands and feet too. but the pain in my head is unbearable.. i have black outs with it. and all my body weight falls to the left.. any ideas as to what it could be?

Hello, I am a just turned 40 year old man. Last October I had a migraine that lasted for 10 days. All during this time, I was having vision problems. Basically, couldn't figure out how to open my cell phone or read a clock or do basic things like read a clock's hands. It was like everything was backwards. Well on the last day I fell out in a seizure. But before that happened, it's like my eyes went crossed and I stood up and my left arm drew up and I could feel my pulse in my left temple really fast. It scared the sh*t out of me. I thought I was dead for sure. Next thing I know I'm in the back of an ambulance. Long story short; I had all the usual tests, cat, mri, eeg. One prick of a doctor tried to say that I had MS. Another said I had a bunch of spots on my brain that looked like miniature strokes. In all my neurologist says that i have high cholesterol. It was around 250. I don't know. Since all of this I quit smoking and drinking after 20 or so years, and I haven't had a migraine since. I try to eat right, but it's hard ya know. It's expensive. Every now and then I'll have a sharp pain in the top left side of my head and it reminds me that maybe I need to eat a little better. I am not an over weight man. Only by maybe 10 or 20 pounds. Now I don't know if any of this will help you, but maybe it will. I think that a lot of our aches and pains are due to our lifestyles. Oh yeah, I used to drink energy drinks like all the time, everyday. Now the doctors totally ruled this out , but I think that they had a lot to do with the seizure. If you drink any of them, read up on them. It will scare the c**p out of ya. My energy drink of choice was monster. Look on the back of the can sometime. It says to never drink more than 3 a day. I wonder why? Later on man! and good luck! 8)