My father had heart attack few months ago, and since that time, he doesn’t feel well. Off course he is controlling his health with doctor very common. Last time he explained to my father that he has heart failure. I guess that is caused by that heart attack and symptom is that he is short of breath sometimes. I would like to know more about this disease and how he should be treated?

Heart failure or congestive heart failure (CHF) is condition in which heart can’t pump enough blood to the body’s organs. This can be resulted by coronary heart disease or narrowed arteries that supply blood to the heart muscle. Also past heart attack, myocardial infection with scar tissue that interferes with the heart muscle’s normal work is causes for heart failure too. Off course there are much more causes, but each has the same affection to heart failure. Failing heart keeps working but not as efficiently as it should. That’s why people with heart failure exert themselves because they become short of breath and tired. There is usually required program of rest, proper diet and modified daily activities. Drugs such as ACE or angiotensin-concerting-enzyme inhibitor, beta blockers, digitalis, diuretics, and vasodilatators are also commonly in use. It is better when the specific cause of congestive heart failure is discovered so it can directly be treated or if that is possible, corrected. Most of the people with mild and moderate congestive heart failure can be treated and proper medical supervision can prevent them from becoming invalids.