Good day friends. My cousin is working at the airport and she really loves her job. But it looks like that she will leave this job since she was diagnosed with some heart issue. When I asked her to explain more, she couldn't tell because she was so stressed and she didn't listen to her doctor what he was telling her. But, she told me that she needs to use Digitalis medication. Personally, I don't know anything about this drug but I was hoping that you can tell me more about it. Well, what heart conditions you can treat with Digitalis? 

Hi Z,

Digitalis is commonly used to treat congestive heart failure (CHF).  It can also be used to treat certain arrhythmias.

It makes the heart pump harder.

She REALLY needs to talk to her doctor and understand why she needs this drug.  It can be dangerous if she overdoses on it.

Hope it helps.

Hey medic - dan.
Sure it helps! I just hate because she is panicking a lot and she haven't heard a single thing what her doctor told her. I just spoke to her and I told her exotically the same thing - that she can overdose with this medication and that she needs to go to see her doctor again because she needs to ask him again about some main rules. And you know what she told me - that she can't ask him because she feels ashamed because she didn't listen to him. I don't know what to do and how to help her.

Hey Medic Dan,

It is always a pleasure to see you sharing your knowledge with us.

It isn't uncommon that people freak out when they hear that they have heart issues, especially if they didn't even have a clue that there was something wrong with them, so you can try to understand her there. But still, you two need to figure out why did her doctor tell her to use digitalis. She needs to call him and to apologize, she needs to tell him that she was freaked out because of what she just found out that and that she kindly asks that he just tells her the name of her condition.

She shouldn't have to leave her job because of this matter Big Z, she should be just fine unless she is a stewardess, and I'm guessing that she is not.

This is most commonly used for heart arrhthmias, if I'm not mistaken. Digitalis can increase blood flow throughout your body and reduce swelling in your hands and ankles. It is very important to follow her doctor's instruction when it comes to dosage of the medication. If she misses a dose, she should take it as soon as she remembers. If it is within 12 hours of her next dose, she should skip this missed dose and carry on with her regular schedule. She mustn't double her next dose.  

Hey everyone,

Yep, this is basically used only for congestive heart failure (CHF) and heart rhythm problems (atrial arrhythmias). 

She has to talk to her doctor about this, her reaction is actually funny to me, but she really, really needs to talk to her doctor. He needs to tell her which medications she mustn't combine with this drug, and which foods she shouldn't eat while taking this medication (I think it is grapefruit and grapefruit juice only). He will tell her about the side effects and other stuff, basically, he will tell her everything that she needs to know and she can ask him if she has any questions.

It is mostly used for heart arrhythmias Big Z, I am using this medication myself now, and I have to say that I don't have a single side effect (which is a very rare case, don't expect the same to happen to your cousin).

There are some serious side effects which can occur and she needs to talk to her doctor about this. If she doesn't talk to her doctor, she needs to see him as soon as she notices ANY side effect, or anything weird that she isn't used to. Things can get pretty nasty if she doesn't do so.

She needn't be embarrassed by not remembering what the doctor told her. Lots of patients have problems remembering, sometimes due to the shock of a diagnosis.

A good doctor recognizes this and MANY will provide written instructions as to what their condition is and how it is being treated. Her pharmacist can also provide information on how this drug is used and any cautions.

Hey medic - dan. I totally agree with you. It is not embarrassing when a patient just can't remember what doctor told to her or him. It is just a shock or there are so many terms that a lot of patients just can't remember. That is normal. About this topic, I am aware that this is medical plan and it is good. Doctors are using it for deceased. But even if this plant is for home use, doctors do not recommend to patients to take it in their homes. I don't know why but also patients need to be extremely careful when they are using it.

Hello everyone. I know that Digitalis is used to treat congestive heart failure (CHF) and heart rhythm problems (atrial arrhythmias). Digitalis can increase blood flow throughout your body and reduce swelling in your hands and ankles. That is why this medication is that helpful and people do recommend it for almost everyone. It works like this -  it strengthen the force of the heartbeat by increasing the amount of calcium in the heart's cells. Now, when the medicine reaches the heart muscle, it binds to sodium and potassium receptors.  Calcium is up so this cause stronger heartbeats. Good luck there!