I lost my virginity about three and a half years ago. When I did, I don't remember bleeding very much at all. Last week, with my current boyfriend, I started bleeding very, very heavily. We were fooling around and it was before we even started having sex. My period wasn't due for another six days, and I'm on the pill. Is it possible that after having sex many times in the past three and a half years, that my boyfriend just "popped my cherry"? Or is this abnormal? Should I go to the doctor or do I have nothing to worry about? It freaked me out and I just want to make sure there isn't something wrong with me..

You should see a doctor actually. The bleeding is not because of your hymen has just broken. It was broken 3.5 years ago.

There are so many possible reasons why a woman could bleed during an intercourse. Some of them are harmless, others dangerous. The only way to figure out is to see a gynecologist, tell your story with all the symptoms and how it happened and s/he will perform all the necessary tests to see what could be happening.

Sometimes, the bleeding could be because of hormonal imbalance, bc pills, cysts on the ovaries, polyps (harmless) on the cervix. Bleeding could be caused by almost all sexually transmitted diseases although you haven’t had any symptoms before.

Benign but annoying growths in the uterus like polyps or fibroids could be causing bleeding as well. Dry vagina during an intercourse would bleed due to improper lubrication of the vaginal walls.

Cervical or ovarian cancer would also make a woman bleed. This is why it is important you had yourself checked especially if the bleeding continued the next time you had sex.

hi, im 16yr old and have been dating my boyfriend for 10 month and hes my only sexual partner ever but he has been with others but says hes always used protection, i lost my virginity to him a month after we started dating and i never bled but 9month into the relation ship and we have a sexual active relationship the other night after we had sex i went home and after i has been to the toilet i started bleeding i didnt think anything of it but 2 nights later i had sex again and kept getting a pain on my left side of my pelvis and wen i sat up i noticed blood everywhere i got in a panic and cried for hours im so terrified but he swears hes been faithful to me and hasnt got any STD's im so scared im scared to tell anyone can someone plz help me i dont know what it could be or what to do please could you email me if you can help my adress is _[removed]_

thank you xx