I AM 27 YEARS OLD AND I HAVE BEEN ON MY PERIOD FOR 23 DAYS NOW AND IM SCARED TO DEATH WHATS WRONG. I HAD A SURGERY IN DECEMBER AND MISSED MY PERIOD THAT MONTH, THE DOCTOR TOLD ME SINCE I WAS ON MORPHINE IT COULD OF MADE ME SKIP A MONTH AND NOT TO WORRY. JANUARY CAME AND I HAD A PERIOD FOR JUST A COUPLE DAYS. I WAS DUE TO START AT THE END OF FEB AND ACTUALLY STARTED THE LAST DAY OF FEB AND I HAVE BEEN ON IT EVER SINCE. AND IM CLOTTING BLOOD TO. I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL LAST WEEK FOR SOMETHING AND THEY SAID MY H AND H WAS 9 AND IT SHOULD BE 12 AND IF I DROP ANY LOWER I WILL NEED A BLOOD TRANSFUSION. I HAVE CALLED AND TRIED TO GET IN TO THE GYNI BUT THAT SOONEST I CAN GET IN IS APRIL 3, IM SCARED THAT I WILL BLEED UNTIL THEN AND LOSE MORE BLOOD. THE OTHER THING IS I HAD AN ABORTION 5 YEARS AGO, COULD IT BE ANYTHING FROM THAT? NO ONE IN MY FAMILY KNOWS ABOUT IT SO IM WORRIED TO SEE WHAT THIS IS.....ANY IDEAS?

Hello there! What kind of surgery did you have in December?

This is not good, even a ten-day period should be looked at. Can’t you go to the emergency room or make an appointment somewhere else, to see a private gynecologist ( and pay for it of course), or whatever it works in your country.

I can’t say what it is but it is highly unlike it was from an abortion that was done 5 years ago. It could be due to abortion if it were done a three months ago but I doubt since it’s been five years.
What could cause prolonged bleeding are endometrial hyperplasia, which means that some abnormal cells had showed, which could be either benign or pre-cancerous. Most commonly prolonged bleedings are caused by benign lesions but cancer must be suspect in every case as well.
Hormonal changes could be responsible for your abnormal bleeding and they are most often treated by hormonal therapies. Most hormonal disorders arise from excessive estrogen and lack of progesterone, so adding artificial progesterone usually takes care of the problem.
Other possible reasons include fibroids and polyps in the uterus and polyps in the cervix.

You need to be evaluated and then treated according to the cause.
I forgot to mention about the thyroid gland problems. They can easily interfere with a woman’s cycle.

I'm going through the same thing right now and I'm scared myself because I was in the hospital for a week for multiple issues and one of them was due to me being anemic. I lost so much blood that I was on a 6 and they told me I needed to be at a 12. I had to get 2 blood transfusions. Now I'm scared because I'm losing more blood.