Hello everyone,

I was reading about this silent ischemia and it sounds absolutely terrifying to me since it is a condition in which you feel no pain. That's the main thing that kept my attention stuck to this peace of paper and now I'm curious about it. If you feel no pain and you don't have any symptoms, how are you going to find out that you have it and start treating it?  

Anyway, I'd like to know more about silent ischemia. Can anyone tell me something more, please, if you know about this? Like, what is Silent Ischemia and what are its risk factors?

Hey Adria,

Ischemia is a condition where the flow of oxygen-rich blood to a part of the body is restricted. Cardiac ischemia refers to lack of blood flow and oxygen to the heart muscle.

Cardiac ischemia happens when an artery becomes narrowed or blocked for a short time, preventing oxygen-rich blood from reaching the heart. If ischemia is severe or lasts too long, it can cause a heart attack (myocardial infarction) and can lead to heart tissue death. In most cases, a temporary blood shortage to the heart causes the pain of angina pectoris. But in other cases, there is no pain. These cases are called silent ischemia.

Hi Adria,

I think I can help you out with some additional info here.

The American Heart Association estimates that 3 to 4 million Americans have episodes of silent ischemia. People who have had previous heart attacks or those who have diabetes are especially at risk for developing silent ischemia. Heart muscle disease (cardiomyopathy) caused by silent ischemia is among the more common causes of heart failure in the United States. 

Since a lot of people indeed have this condition, I suppose that it is not so dangerous as one would think, but it certainly does need a proper treatment, just in case.

Hi everyone,

I didn't expect to receive so many answers to my question, thank you very much for that, I appreciate your help.

To be honest, I thought that this condition is a bit dangerous but since a lot of people is having then, then I'm guessing that I was wrong.

Also, I expected the risk factors to be a bit different than they are. I mean, most risk factors are just another heart diseases and heart conditions, if you remove smoking, alcohol and obesity from the risk factors, which are the risk factors of all heart diseases and conditions, I think.

Yeah, it isn't that dangerous, Adria, however, it should be treated, like any other condition, if you leave it untreated, there is always a chance that it will cause you some harm.

Treatment for ischemia is similar to that for any form of cardiovascular disease and usually begins with the following lifestyle changes: if you smoke, quit, control high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes, limit how much alcohol you drink, adopt healthy eating habits, and start an exercise program that has been approved by your doctor.

You might also receive some medications to use if these lifestyle changes don't seem to help.

Nah, it's not so dangerous. And it doesn't happen in 100% of cases that a person doesn't have any symptoms, sometimes the person has angina like chest pain, which eventually makes her to go and see her doctors. There, the doctor will do some tests and he easily determine if that person has silent ischemia.

The goals of treatment include improving blood flow to your heart and reducing your heart's need for oxygen. Your doctor may give you aspirin, anticoagulants, or other blood-thinning agents to prevent blood clots from forming. Oxygen may be given to increase the oxygen content of the blood still flowing through your heart. Painkillers may be used for pain.

Hi everyone.

Ischemia is a condition where the flow of oxygen-rich blood to a part of the body is restricted. Cardiac ischemia refers to lack of blood flow and oxygen to the heart muscle. There are silent and cardiac ischemia as you already know it. Silent ischemia may also disturb the heart's rhythm. Abnormal rhythms such as ventricular tachycardia orventricular fibrillation can interfere with the heart's pumping ability and can cause fainting or even sudden cardiac death. You should know that this is very dangerous if you let it untreated and it can cause death. It needs to be treated! 

Good day everyone.

Heart muscle disease is caused with silent ischemia. No discussion of silent ischemia is complete without consideration of the cardiac pain mechanism.  If a chemical pain stimulus is involved, the substance that has been most recently linked to the production of angina-like chest pain is adenosine. Older  population of people with a high prevalence of latent cardiac disease and cardiovascular risk factors, including diabetes, as well as overt coronary disease have more chance to develop silent ischemia. It can be very risky disease and the biggest risk factor is sudden death, that can occurs. Good luck there. 

Hello. I agree Couch. I also forget to mention that in case if you didn’t know silent ischemia has no symptoms. On the other hand, researchers have found that patients who have noticeable chest pain may also have episodes of silent ischemia. So whenever you feel some chest pain, you need to inform your doctor about this. Treatment for ischemia is similar to that for any form of cardiovascular disease. It usually begins with lifestyle changes and that means that you need to quit smoke, start to eat normally healthy food, etc. This is the only way to live with it. 

Hey everyone. Ischemia is actually the medical term for what happens when your heart muscle doesn't get enough oxygen and it becomes the problem. In this case,  Ischemia usually happens because of a shortage of blood and oxygen to the heart muscle. When your heart suffers from ischemia, you will typically experience pain or discomfort in your chest. Angina is the medical term for this chest sensation, which is the most common symptom of coronary artery disease. You should know that people with silent ischemia typically find out that they have it when their doctor notices that their routine EKG which is good, he can notice it on ambulatory EKG, or stress test results indicate that their hearts aren't getting enough blood.