Hello!
I have hernia for a longer period. The problem is that my job involves heavy lifting, so I am constantly prolonging the disorder. I think my hernia will never repair because of heavy lifting.

Hey,
You are right. You must avoid heavy lifting if you want your hernia to repair. You must deal some other job that does not involve heavy lifting. For your own good!

If you think a hernia will repair itself, you are very WRONG! You must have it repaired surgically. Usually it's a simple outpatient procedure, where you go home the same day. If you don't have it repaired now, it WILL get worse, until you are unable to work at all, and the operation may be serious. Do not underestimate the recovery time. You can't do any lifting of more than a few pounds for anywhere from a month to several months. You have to allow the scar tissue and nerves to repair inside, not just the outside. If you try to rush this, you may cause internal damage, that will require another medical operation! You may want to use the recovery time to try to figure out what other lighter kind of work you could do. The good news is that getting it fixed is easy; the bad news is the long recovery time. It won't repair itseld:see your doctor.
best regards. thomas19290

A hernia will never repair itself. If only gets worse until you are unable to work at all. The good news is that it's usually an outpatient procedure and you go home the same day. The bad news is that you can't lift ANYTHING for several weeks or even months. You have to give the nerves and scar tissue inside you a chance to completely mend. If you rush this, you'
ll probably need another operation. Use the mending time to consider a job change at least temporarily, because no matter how much you want to go back to heavy lifting, it's a poor choice. Hope this helps. See your doctor, because it never repairs itself.

I had ventral hernia repair 2 weeks ago, and after the 4th day I have being lifting a baby (25 pounds) and pulling myself to get in my truck. I have being filing umbilical pain and back pain also. Do I nee to go to emergency for this condition?

Hernias do not 'repair' without surgery, and continuing heavy lifting without getting it checked by a doctor and surgically corrected could end up causing to be 'strangulated' meaning part of whatever organ is protruding dies and has to be cut out to fix the hernia, or in rare cases, can become infected and may even lead to death. Get this thing looked at! I was just diagnosed with an epigastric hernia and see the surgeon next week.

Is everyone here a doctor?

It's understandable that one should be aware of the inherent dangers of a strangulated hernia.. but whether or not our body is able to heal itself from a hernia is questionable. Of course "they" want you to believe that surgery is the only option. Hernia repair is a multi-million dollar a year business.

Please people start to research medical alternatives for non-emergency ailments. And by research I mean look past the top ten search engine results . The internet is very money drive and biased...anyone remember life before the internet??! do your homework!

I know a man who was diagnosed with a Inguinal Hernia, a cat scan was taken to confirm this diagnosis. The doctor said it wasn't too severe and that he could hold off on surgery. Because the hernia caused the man no pain he held off on surgery. This man researched and incorporated alternative forms of medicine/self healing. 1 year later he returned to the doctor for a follow up, got another cat scan... it had healed to almost 100%. WITH NO SURGERY.

Surgery should be a last choice. It hold all sorts of complications... EVEN DEATH! (compare the % of people that die from surgical complications to that of a "strangulated hernia")

Don't get me wrong I do believe surgery in needed in "emergency" situations, or as a last resort (when all other options have been exhausted), but not just for convenience sake.

Keep in mind that the primary reason why hernia surgery is often advocated is that
(1) It will only get worse
(2) it may result in strangulation which may require emergency surgery

Getting "worse" is often debatable and depends upon many things such as the change in lifestyle, pain, etc. that are rather difficult to measure except on an case by case basis. However, (2), in a recent JAMA 2006 article, the chance of strangulation is about one-fifth of one percent over a 3 year period. Long term data on stangulation does not exist. Therefore, it is not clear whether the chance of strangulation should be the primary criteria to determine whether you should have surgery.
Surgery (today), in general, implies a open or laproscopic mesh approach. What is very important to keep in mind is that long term data on the use of mesh does not exist. Furthermore, (short term) reports of chronic pain following hernia surgery (often termed mesh inguinodynia) varies substantially.

The last point to make is that hernia surgery is often irreversible. That is, if a mesh is used, removal of the mesh is very complicated procedure, often resulting in "collateral damage".

You mentioned 1/5 of 1% dying of stangulated hernia. Is this from the general population or amongst those previously diagnosed with hernias?

I also have had an Inguinal Hernia for a long time and don't want to have that mesh put inside me. I actually received something in the mail about a class action lawsuit pertaining to the hernia mesh being used. I am very interested in how the previous poster's friend healed his hernia. My hernia does not cause me any pain.

While I am not much of an advocate for alternative medicine, and also think that having an operation is definitely the safest option when dealing with an inguinal hernia, I have to say I have no doubt about the veracity of this post as I have had precisely the same experience as this person described.

I suffered from an inguinal hernia for nearly 10 years, but was always too afraid to get it operated on. It was quite severe at times, often dropping right into my scrotum and causing considerable discomfort.

Anyway, two years ago I moved into a flat on the 5th floor of a building with no working lift. I have spoken with friends who are doctors who say that what I am about to write sounds highly unlikely, but I KNOW with 99% certainty that climbing those stairs every day led directly to my hernia disappearing on what would appear to be a permanant basis. Basically, as the months went by living there, I noticed my hernia getting considerably more painful on the occasions when it popped out, which I now put down to the muscles tightening up around the weakness. After living there for 6 months my hernia stopped popping out ever, and now two years later I have had not one single problem down there. I now live on the second floor, but every day make sure to climb the stairs several times as I am positive that this action is what is keeping the hernia from becoming apparent. I am not under any illusions that it has "healed" and that it would likey present itself again if I were to put on weight or stop exercising. But hey, I've avoided an operation and proven (to myself anyway) that when a doctor says the only option is surgery that they are talking compelte and utter sh*te! Doctors lack imagination, that's how they ended up being doctors in the first place. Totally unable to think outside the box and consider anything other than what they learn at med school.

Your hernia, and someone elses are completely different. You say doctors lack imagination, but you clearly assume every case and situation to be the same as your own. It would be better if you did not spew your misinformed opinion on the world.

I am a doctor, and a powerlifter with a congenital inguinal hernia. Since I was born with a lump in my scrotum, I thought it was completely normal until I went to med school and discovered it wasn't. I was training on not so heavy weights in the 300 lb range. My doctor said it did not require repair. When I started moving onto heavier wieght I became concerned with the potential effects of extremely raised intra-abdominal pressure on the hernia, and I got a repair done. After 2 months of recovery I was moving back into training, and eventually began to hit personal records again with a 600lb lift.

You have a hole in your abdomen. If you think this hole will be stronger than a repair you are being an id**t. My lifts cause such increased pressure small blood vessels burst all over my face, and my nose bleeds. But my hernia remains in check.

Your repair is most likely not going to fail. Every procedure has bad cases. But those are bad surgeons. If your car broke down and you took it to a mechanic who made it worse, would you doubt the field of engineering and look for alternative car repair? no. You would say that you had a bad mechanic and go to someone else. Its the same thing with doctors.

you are wrong i have had this hernia in my belly button for 6 years and my doctor put me on nexium for stomach promb. and the tear is healed i cant stick my finger thru it to put it back in and its been 4 months i have been on nexium.all i can say god is good thank you lord