I had a pretty major abdominal hernia repair a couple of weeks ago - 3-4" vertical incision, with a large mesh inserted. While I used to have pretty hard, visible abdominals, there is swelling all around there now. It feels like a pillow, not the hard abs I had before the surgery. Will this go away? There was a drain for a few days after the surgery, but the doctor then removed it. He is draining fluid a couple of times, but there is still a lot of swelling. Will it go away? How long does it take?

I'm curious, did the swelling ever go away? I had a hernia repair 11 days ago. While the pain has, for the most part, completely subsided there is still quite a bit of what appears to be swelling along the entire length of the incision. In the back of my mind I'm wondering if I've got another hernia or if the incision is healing in an unusual way. I'm very thin so I'm hoping that this degree of swelling is normal and just more pronounced in my case because I don't have very much abdominal fat to hide swelling.

I have the same problem as you guys. What was your result?

Where are the answers from other people??

I have the same thing,my doctor says he wants to wait 6 months to see if it goes away.Makes me think he isn`t on top of things I`m going to go for a second opininon

I had bilateral inguinal hernia repair 9 days ago.
The swelling over one of the incisions is extremely pronounced, which worries me. It's practically the size of the original hernia.
Secondly on the other incision I get the most extreme and severe excrutiating shooting pains. After 9 days, I am not convinced this is normal!
Can anyone add to this or help?
Cheers

I am a female who unfortunately found myself with a hernia. I had surgery less than 2 weeks ago, and I have what appears to be a "bump" beneath the incision. My doctor says it is the body's way of healing itself and that it is fine. I went to the emergency room with it after 6 days, and was told the same thing. I still have pain in the area, which appears to surprise the doctor. what did you find out?

Hi. I'm experiencing the same problem as u guys after 9 days post surgery. this is what i found out on a website though:

HEALING RIDGE The HEALING RIDGE, which is a normal occurring event, is a term we use to describe the area of swelling and hardness beneath the incision after hernia repair surgery. This area of temporary swelling normally occurs and is progressive in extent for about 2-3 days after surgery. It may harden somewhat, feeling like a roll of quarters or even a small 'cucumber' beneath the skin in the region. It remains virtually unchanged for 2-3 weeks after which it gradually softens and flattens (taking an additional 2-3 weeks to complete on average). The size and duration of the 'ridge' is related to the size and complexity of the hernia itself. The ridge is caused by local tissue swelling and inflammation around the implanted mesh as it 'heals' into the surrounding muscle. It is not, per se, a complication, but is part of the normal process. We allow our patients to resume normal activity rapidly despite the presence of the healing ridge feeling that such activity maintains flexibility of the region and inhibits overly dense scar tissue formation.

Hope that helps. it gav me some assurance

Hi everyone,

I had an umbilical hernia repair a little over a week ago with a fairly big vertical incision and a mesh inserted. I am thin and just like all of you I was pretty shocked initially by the swelling around my abdomen and even all the way around towards my lower back. I also cannot see my abdominal muscle which I could before. My doctor said this is *completely* normal... your body is healing. Around 5 days after the surgery the swelling started to subside, and every day when I wake up there is less swelling but it does take a long time (at least 2-3 weeks after surgery I would imagine at this rate) to completely go away and my doctor told me this is also completely normal.

At the site of the hernia I also feel a very hard lump beneath the skin, my doctor told me this is also normal and happens to everyone and that this will actually take months to go away, it is the scar tissue.

I Had hernia surgery in April I had this ball under my inccesion as well, after 3 months of doing to my surgeon and 2 catscans later he thought we should see what is in there. Well it is July I had my2nd operation a week ago and he told me that I healed faster outside brofer I did inside. My stoamcah wall where holding blood,puss,fliud and etc over a 3 month period I was getting to the point where it would hurt severe and was the size of a basketball. he cut over my incesion from my last surgery and put a Drain in for 8 days. Beilve it or not I had to record everything it did... I had drained 700 cc of fluid from my body in a 7 day period or the cups doctors use to have pee in 7 of them filled to the top. I have to see him in 2 weeks I am still draining and still in some pain but I hope that this helped .

Yea I had surgery on my hernia last wednesday and the whole right side of my abdomen is bruised and under the incision is like a really hard lump. My doctor said because surgery is sometimes traumatizing to the tissue, its the way it heals and repairs itself. As long as the pain is decreasing everyday, the swelling isn't increasing, there is no discharge or whatever coming out then its all normal.

I had a hysterectomy with tumor removal and adhesions in March. Got abdominal hernia. Went and had it repaired in July 27. I felt some pain after and bloating, but this week number four is the worst. The past three days I am swelling like I'm nine months pregnant and am in pain. Went to the doctor and he said "Oh, You're fine. If it gets worse go back to your obgyn and maybe the adhesions came back. HELP with adive. What should I do?

I had hernia surgery 5 weeks ago this coming Wednesday, 3/3/10, and I too have a lot of swelling. It seems that I Did not drain as well as I should have, not sure if the drain tube was kinked or what, but after they pulled the drain out, I have a small place in my incision that seeps old blood, so I have to keep it covered all of the time. I am hoping the swelling will go down eventually because to me it looks just as badly as it did with the hernia. My doctor did not put mesh inside of me, he just repaired the muscles and pulled them tight, is what he said. We shall see.

Sharon

my dad had a hernia surgery about a year and half ago and the swelling and pain wont go away we have gone to different doctors and nobody could find anything wrong with him does anybody know anything about this thankyou.

Hi - i had an umbilical hernia repaired 6 days ago - about 1.5inch cut above my belly button which is zigzagged with little nobbly bits of skin. The surgeon seems to have sewn folds of skin together and looks really scrunched up. Still swollen and yellow/green bruising but pain is not there apart from if i exert myself, cough or sneeze etc. Under my belly button is a ridge of skin and then looks and feels like he's tightened my skin and muscle underneath so i've a very flat bit directly underneath and pouches either side which isn't tightened. I've no idea what he's done, so i'm going to see him this evening for an explaination. He didnt come to see me before i left the hospital to say how things had gone and as it's private (Methley Park) i'm not too happy. No pain though so that's a blessing.