I had the laparoscopic gall bladder removal on June 3rd but have never been out of pain since then. Blood tests come back normal (no infection). Pain goes from base of sternum along lower right rib and often feels like knife cutting me. I found a raised line along the rib under the skin a couple days ago but it went away when I laid on my back and put on a pressure belt I use to relieve lower back pain. Gassiness in more frequent since the surgery and often causes pain in the same area (also have severe Gerd but take meds for that). I do a lot of heavy lifting and and maybe did not wait the two weeks post surgery before resuming lifting (brother died and I had to empty his house). At any rate, pain is terrible and life-altering. I had an x-ray for a broken rib, but rib is okay. Is a hernia possible? What tests would I need to find that out?

I too experience this pain on the right side after gall bladder surgery. I told my dr it feels like I am being stabbed. He laughs and said thats what we did to you.....come on. I get a scan and find out I have an umbilical hernia but wait.. what about my right side. nothing they find nothing wrong go back to work. I have been hurting nearly 3 years. He never took a stich... what??? im fat!!! hello hernia!! now im fatter.. :-( ok anyway what does a person do? I just love the feeling of being stabbed to death randomly through the day. And I cannot wear jeans. I have tried 4 sergeons and two reg drs in my area. they all hold hands. and who has to pay? my insurance because of his screw up.

I've had 4 ventral hernias (incisional hernias). They can sometimes be picked up by CT scan, and also a doc can feel them. They usually have you push your stomach up to the ceiling while laying down, and they feel your stomach for bulges. (doing this makes the hernia pop out). It can also be felt when you cough. I could always feel the hernia myself when doing this.. I actually told the docs that i had a hernia on the last two I've had.. and was right... try it ! :-)
Good Luck!

Since I originally posted this (2 years ago), I had a test that cured most of the problem... I still have the stabbing pain but maybe only once every two weeks. The test? A colonoscopy! It seems inflating the bowel released a portion that was evidently pinched when the surgeon pushed things out of his way doing the gall bladder removal. The remaining pain is probably due to damage from the year the colon was pinched, I cannot know for sure. Good luck with finding a solution to your pain.

Had the same op 4 weeks ago- after the initial two weeks everything had settled down, and pain was minimal.
Suddenly a very sharp twisting pain occurred, and this took my breath away. Pain subsided for a few days them reoccurred, and did not settle. Ended up in hospital this weekend- cannot bear the area to be touched. Blood tests and x-rays come back fine, pain is directly between the belly button incision and the one just under the breast area. Drs say no infection found, ultrasound scan shows no abnormalities, unlikely to be a hernia as not directly at incision points, and no obvious bulge.
home now with pain killers. Could this be the same as jdinpc , and if so how do I suggest this to the Doctors?

have a swelling on scar area no pain could it be an hernia

I have the exact same symptoms and have had them since about a year after my gallbladder surgery. I describe it the same way, it talkes my breath away and I actually feel something that feels like a mass kindof twist and turn and then settle down again. I've had an ultrasound that showed no abnormalities and all blood tests etc. are normal. I know exactly how I have to twist to cause the pain, it seems to be related to muscle tissue. Pain is directly under some of the incisisions.

I just found out I have a hernia at my side from a gallbladder removal surgery that happened years ago. Went to pain management and he was shocked at where one of my healed incision is. Where it is at is clear on my side, right above the rib/ liver. I have had been having pain for months, a stabbing burning pain and I thought it was because I have been working out and I pulled something. It wasn't till I started vomiting uncontrollably that I knew it wasn't a muscle. First they looked at my liver but that came back normal. There is one spot (right where this incision is) that makes my whole side hurt. If you have someone push along the area and you can pin point exactly what hurts and the pain spreads, more than likely it is a hernia or something wrong. Hope I helped.

I had my gallbladder out 5 years ago. I eas in pain for a few days, thought it was heartburn. Couldn't take the pain any longer so phoned the doctors surgery and was told there was a lot of stomach flu going about, so go to bed and take pain killers.This was the nurse who told me this. I insisted that I see a doctor right away and was told no one was available. My husband insisted that we get in the car and go to the doctors. When I arrived there one of the doctors wasn't happy at me being told what I was told from the nurse. He took me to accident and emergency who diagnosed that i Had pancreatitis, gallstones and something else. I was admitted and I was on antibiotics for 2 weeks to clear the pancreatitus, then they took me into theatre to remove my gallbladder by keyhole. Everything was going well until a few days later I was fainting and started to bleed.I was taken back to theatre for the doctors to open me up and sort out the problem. After being in hospital for 3 weeks 5 days I was sent home. I had district nurses coming into the house for 3 months as my wound would not close properly. my side started to swell.I went back for my checkup and was told by the doctor to lose a bit of weight and it would go away. As I was losing weight the swelling was getting bigger. I eventually was diagnosed with 3 hernias along my scar from the operation. I still have them,but one in particular keeps getting bigger. The doctors have now told me it is too risky to operate as I probably wouldn't survive the surgery. I now feel deformed as this is getting bigger. it also means that if I am going out I have to be careful what I am wearing so it does not show. I feel embarrased about it but theres nothing I can do about it. I am 38 years old and feel like a freak. Hope this does not happen to anybody else. I feel sorry for anybody who developes a hernia as it is embarressing.

Good luck to everybody

I have experience d the same and my doctor told me it's not life threatening but recommended i may go for operation if only I experience discomfort.

To Evelyn Clayton: I am just reading some of these posts. I too had gallbladder surgery one year ago. I have a "BULGE" right above my naval (where the doc went in laproscopicly). He says is nothing to worry about (took a CT scan to be certain). Says is "muscle mass". When I sit on the toilet, and lean back on the back of the toilet, the bulge sticks out. Says its not a hernia. Is that what you experienced. Every now and then, depending on what I am doing, I can feel a "slight" pain or stinging in that "BULGE".

I have the same bulge, like a golf ball right above my belly button.I always seem to be uncomfortable in my right side to , gallbladder area..sometimes it's extremely bad...I am a worrier so I think the worst of all of this. .today I was told to have a general surgeon look at the bulge but the lady I saw today thought hernia. ..I don't want more surgery dang it :(

I have the same pain as this! It feels quite similar to some gallbladder pain. It was diagnosed as a hernia. I had my gallbladder removed via key hole surgery. A few months later tore something while dragging a 700lb piece of equipment to straighten it out.
My doctor said that quite often a hernia like this can cause lateral pain at the sides, not at the hernia site.
I go go for surgery in 8 days and I hope it fixes the pain.

Get a new set of doctors!!

I had gallbladder a year ago next week also bile duct and liver biopsie same week . I was fine I thought until one day I was laying on my bed had a stomach ache so I put my hand over my belly button and I coughed to my surprise I felt a hard lump pop up then it went back down . I never noticed it before and it's been a year don't hurt. Bit going in for knee surgery in the morning so this will have to wait. Hope it's not serious