I am 21 year old female who lifts weights 4 times a week. About 4 days ago i came home and noticed a bulge like size of a golf ball protruding right below where my rib cage ends. I went to a doctor and he told me it was not a hernia but was diastasis recti. I have a hard time believing this is what it is because I did not strain anymuscles, and why would diastasis recti occur this high up? I do not feel any pain at all when I push on it, it is not hard but mushy, and while I was working out I did not feel any pain. The bulge is not seen as bad when I stand up straight or when I stretch my hands above me head. It does not hurt at all, when i bend over and flex my abs you can see the bulge. I am a health 138 pounds five foot seven, always have been athletic, and have been training for a figure building competition in march and then this decided to happen. I am wondering what it could be..could it be an epigastric hernia? Anyone know or heard of anything like this?

did you ever get this figured out? ive had the same thing for a few months, and was sure it was an epigastric hernia from self diagnosing...just went to doctor today and she just did a manual check on me and said she sees a lot of younger athletic people in with it...claims its a swollen muscle. but i did a lot of reading on epigastric hernia and am still worried it might be that, im not 100% satisfied with her answer. and a swollen muscle doesnt CONSTANTLY stay big.

I feel for both of you. I have had the same thing it sounds like going on 6 years now and 10k in debit on medical bills and they still can't figure out what it is. Mine is also on the right side just below my breast and rib cage area and it also bulges out and sometimes moves to the center. I'm thinking it is an hernia as well but i'm not the doctor. I can tell you throughout this whole thing the doctors thought it could be from my scrolioses so i went to that doctor and it has nothing to do with that. I had mri's chest x-rays, cat scans, heta scan all kinds of blood work and still nothing. One doctor tried to tell me it was my gual bladder but i didn't have the pain going to the side to my back and I do not have a gual bladder anymore. So now i'm just hoping they are going to see if it is an hernia since they have ruled everything else out. Good luck to you both.

left bulge next to the belly button with a slight pain [VERY WORRIED ] :-(
after 2 weeks of workout intense bike riding healthy dieting i noticed this bulge in my stomach
the dr said its no hernia or ceptic ulcer wich scares me more
do u have any idea ?

An epigastric Hermia shows up on an ultrasound. Call a surgeon who has an ultrasound in their office and get checked! I just had mine repaired!

I have the same problem, and it didn't come from lifting weights. It was actually a freak accident that caused this, and it hurt like hell when it happened. I fell and hit the back corner of my couch. And I could never imagine this would happen ' just by falling into my couch. But it was like I got shot with a paint ball gun at short range. My upper abdominal muscle on the right side, just under my rib cage. Swelled up and turned red and purple, like something burst or got torn inside. I hate going to the doctor or a hospital, so I just tuft it out. It hurt really bad for a couple of months. But I could tell it was internal pain, but more of a Herniated muscle. I could't do any kind of sit ups or crunches, for at least three months ! Because it would bulge out, with a very annoying pain. Eventually the pain and swelling went away, so I could workout again. But three years later, its still there. And it bothers me time to time, if I irritate it. Like when I do a lot of abdominal exercises, it bulges out with minor pain. Its more of a nuisance then anything, I hate the way it looks ! Especially if your going for the six pack Abs look. I just try to ignore it, and work around it.         

I also have a small like bulge at the top of mu ABS right under my rib cage, had for like four months now started as a muscle cramp in my ABS and formed a small bulge, going to the Dr in the morning.

Did you find out what it is? My daughter has similar symptoms

I have a bulge below my ribcage after eating, Doctors say its a large sternum bone, say ultrsound report did not show anything, say I need to do an endoscopy.

Donah - are you supposed to get an upper endoscopy? or a colonoscopy? Did they find anything yet?

I've had the same bulge problem. (I'm 65 -overweight with a pot belly) 6 mo ago had blood test, ultrasound -Doc said he didn't know - could do more test. That is why I hadn't been to a Doc for 15 years. I am on the Master cleanse (on the third day). Stomach has gone down including the bulge. If I tighten the stomach muscles - it comes back - I usually have alot of trapped gas problem but not lately- Haven't figured it out yet -will keep trying

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I was looking for hiatal hernia self treatments when I came accross this blog. What you all are describing is what I have, a hiatal hernia. They are not always painful unless you become gassy and then they are painful. A hiatal hernia is where your stomach pushes up through the hiatus muscle of your rib cage. It's not deadly but it can become very painful over time because it pushes on the lungs and heart. To verify this is what you have, seek a Gastroenterologist and have an endoscopy done. Having a hiatal hernia does not mean your not healthy, but it can cause other conditions like acid reflux, gurd, & bloating!

oh wow..... I have this and it's getting worse... I'm on the thin side so you can physically see it- I was thinking it was a blockage in my uupper intestines- never thought of herina.... it hurts and kinda feels like a bad cramp....

The doctor is wrong. I have already had one hernia repaired at the belly button. The doctor put mesh around the navel to help strengthen the stomach wall but the surgery didn't work because I was too fat and I have another hernia bulging there. I also have a Hiatal hernia that rubs back and forth on my rib cage and I can't stand any pressure of a doctor pushing the hiatal hernia back in. I have had 3 hernias repaired in different areas of my torso.There is a fabulous hospital in Toronto that only deals with hernias, its call Shouldice sp? I had a hernia strangle (that's where it sticks out through the hole in the lining and stays out and doesn't go back in). It caused a very high temperature and I was hospitalized and then sent for surgery. Good luck, try not to lift anything too heavy as this aggravates the situation.

Go to a chiro. my slipped rib and flared ribs was causing diastasis recti. Its an alignment issue.