Does anyone know the approximate cost of an inguinal hernia operation (in the Northern Virginia/DC area)? My brother needs the surgery but has no insurance. He will need my help in paying for it. Thanks

I received the hospital bill today which was for $14,252 (my area is Kansas City). This was for a small inguinal hernia repair using the laproscopic method. This does not count the surgeon's bill which should come separately. I tried to find out directly from the hospital what this would cost in advance. They never sent me even an estimate. Hope this helps. (I am not implying it shouldn't be done, but wow, is it expensive!)

i just had both left and right side done in arizona and cost $25,000

I just had surgery 18 days ago.

Hospital Charges: $7,000
Surgeon: $1,700
Anesthesia: $550

I found a clinic in Nevada that repairs hernias for $4000 total cost. They also offer financing at $89 per month. I have already had a telephone consult with the surgeon and have scheduled my surgery.

The surgeon should be around $1500, but then the surgery center and associated costs could be an arm and a leg. Insurance helps.

**edited by moderator**

My Father went through the inguinal hernia surgery on 9th march this month, it costed 1,27,000 in indian rupee, aprox $2540.

How long did your father have to stay in the hospital? Is he satisfied with the service/procedure?

Costs in the States are crazy. This is an absolute rip-off! My husband is going to get his operation in France. We found a private clinic near Montpellier which does it for 837.67 euros total. They do the Lichtenstein procedure, which is safer. My husband will get in at 7 am and leave the clinic late afternoon. If he does need to stay at the clinic overnight, it will be 35 euros per night. Cheaper than a hotel! We are taking advantage of his vacation in France with this surgery.

Oh, costing Hernia Operation over 1000 dollar is completely ripping off, it is not a critical operation. I live in Nepal and I been to the govt. hospital which cost me USD 150 where in private hospital it might cost upto USD 500, just don't know why this AMERICAN medical services are ripping off people so badly.

Which clinic is this? How easy is it to get treatment if one is non-EU resident?

I just got mine done... total of 23grand!!! it was like 800 for the anesthesia. and deduct the rest for hospital, surgeon etc... OUTRAGEOUS! and they think the health-care system is not messed up. 23GRAND for a 30min surgery...

Thank you for posting about how much it cost. What are you doing for financing? I hope that you are recovering well!

I had a inguinal hernia operation when I was 16 years old. I'm now 29 and went to my doctor today because I had a similar feeling in the same area. After he examined me he said that he was not certain but he did feel a small push when I coughed. He referred me to a surgeon here in Columbus Ohio.

My insurance expires on the 31st of Oct and I don't really want to pay for this out of pocket. I hope it stays small and I don't need the surgery right away. Guess I'll find out when I see the surgeon.

Has anyone heard of any financial assistance from counties, hospitals, etc that I may be able to apply for to help cover this cost?

Thanks!

Have a look at the Schouldice Hernia Center in Toronto Canada. This is a top class clinic that specialises in Hernia repair. Had mine repaired a few years ago and the total cost came to just under C$3000! That included a 3 night stay at the clinic. Compare that to $10000+ in the USA for an outpatient procedure.