What excately causes high blood pressure? i understand the fact that cigarette smoking raises it-i have quit smoking! It went down but now it is creeping back up and i'm on medication for hp,but the new one is not as good as the original i was on.After i quit smoking it was like the old medicine was making me feel light-headed and dizzy! or at least i thought it was.I have gained weight in the past few yrs. in my mid-section,but i'm not obese i'm like 20 lbs. heavier than i ever have been.I do try to exercise at the gym a couple times a week.
I would like to know excately what causes high blood pressure and what it really is?

Hi dianna! I can tell you that high blood pressure can be caused by a number of different factors. In a lot of cases, it's genetic, which could be the issue here. Other factors would be sodium, nicotine use, and obesity. Does that help answer your question?