Hello, I am a passionate smoker and have been that for more than 30 years. I have started having problems with high blood pressure which was determined on the last medical check up. Doctor told me that I also have damaged circulation and my small blood vessels do not get enough blood. How bad is nicotine for the blood flow in the eyes?

Nicotine is one of the arteriosclerosis factors. That condition leads to narrowing of blood vessels and that induces damaged circulation. First changes in that case are visible in the small blood vessels, in the eye for example or heart coronary arteries. So, we might conclude that nicotine is very bad for the eyes and that is not the only problem, heart might be affected, lungs too, of course.

Hi there,
If I am not mistaking your eyes are filled with small blood vessels. And if you have problems with blood pressure there is a good chance that your vision will be impacted by this condition as well. The fact is that nicotine has negative effect on heart and blood conditions. It often plays important role in your blood pressure level if you smoke regularly. Have you tried to stop smoking? Has your doctor told you that you need to stop smoking? Also I know that your vision get worse as you get older so you have to know that this can even have bigger and more negative effect on your vision.

All the best,
Danella

Smoking is the single most prevalent cause of preventable diseases in many countries, and the US is no exception. This includes your eyes. Nicotine smoking is closely linked to cataracts, macular degeneration, uveitis, and dry eye syndrome. 

This is just one more reason to work on quitting smoking! 

I could have written parts of your post a few years back. I was a "passionate smoker" too, one of those people who "genuinely enjoyed smoking". I quit after I was diagnosed with hypertension and my doctor told me I really did have to quit. It was hard, but now that I have been quit for a few years, I can say that I did not "genuinely enjoy smoking". It was all the nicotine addiction talking. I have more energy, I feel healthier, I save a lot of money, and my grandkids love coming to my smoke-free house. There are really only benefits, once the withdrawal period wears off.