Hi! I have high triglycerides. My doctor told me that high triglycerides are risk for heart disease. But my friend told me that I also have risk for stroke. I worry about that. Is high triglycerides risk for those diseases?

Hi! I had same problem, and I resolve with appropriate diet. Triglycerides are a form of fat in the bloodstream. Many people with heart disease also have high triglyceride levels. People with above-normal triglyceride levels have an increased risk of heart disease. People with diabetes or who are obese are also likely to have high triglycerides. High triglycerides and the low levels of HDL - the 'good' - cholesterol which usually co-exist are important risk factors for the main type of stroke - ischemic strokes - among patients with heart disease. Fortunately, elevated triglycerides are one of the easiest problems to correct with the appropriate diet. You need simple restriction of all sugars and grains. The right approach is to radically reduce consumption of all simple sugars and grains. In contrast to the drug options which are traditionally applied, it is inexpensive and simple to substitute green leafy vegetables, which have a low glycemic index, for sugars and grains, and there are no toxic effects.