Hello there,

I have something to ask you about.

A friend of mine told me yesterday that he has some yellowish fatty growths (xanthomas) around his joints and that he thinks that he has hyperlipidemia. I didn't ask him about it, I was just listening to what he was saying because we are not that close, but I actually have no idea what hyperlipidemia is. He also told me that it is actually very hard to diagnose unless you have this symptom that he has.

I would appreciate if someone would take their time to tell me what is hyperlipidemia and how is it diagnosed?

Hello Alan,

Hyperlipidemia is the elevation of one or more fat proteins in your body. It is actually more known as a high cholesterol. A lot of people have it actually, about 1 in every 3 Americans, out of which only 1 of them have it under control. 

I don't think that this condition is dangerous actually, I mean, you realize how many people have it. However, having hyperlipidemia does double the risk of developing all kinds of heart diseases and conditions. And your friend is right, there are no other symptoms of hyperlipidemia except for the one that he mentioned.

Hey Alan,

It's quite easy to diagnose someone with hyperlipidemia, if you know that hyperlipidemia is what you are looking for.

Screening for hyperlipidemia is done with a blood test called a lipid profile. It is important that a person has nothing to eat or drink 9 to 12 hours before prior to having the sample drawn. Screening should be done when a person turns 20 years and it should be repeated every five years. Normal levels of cholesterol mean that the total cholesterol is bellow 200, LDL bellow 100, HDL greater than 50 and triglycerides less than 140. I agree that this is not a dangerous condition.

Hey guys,

Thank you very much for your responses, Adria and Stradivarius, I really appreciate them.

I'm glad that this isn't something dangerous, I didn't like how its name sounded, especially because I didn't know what it meant. Well, he probably has it since he is obese, he can't escape from fast food or generally unhealthy food. So since he has this condition, what are his options in order to treat it? I doubt that he can change his lifestyle, it would definitely be too hard for him. Is there anything else that he could do, take some medications, are there any surgeries that can be done?

Hi everyone. Hyperlipidaemia is just another medical word for very high levels of fat in your blood. Generaly, this means that you are having high cholesterol or high triglyceride measurements. This condition itself can’t cause some noticeable symptoms but it can put you in a risk of developing other problems, especially when you are getting older. In that ages you can be sure that you are going to deal with some problems. You have to monitor this disease because it can be dangerous if you don’t treat it. It can cause some heart defect and even the stroke.

Good luck.

Hello everyone.

This condition can be very serious.

If you are diagnosed with hyperlipidemia, you need to know that your overall health status and risks will help guide the treatment very soon. But there are a couple of choices. For example, making healthy diet program and healthy diet choices and increasing your daily exercise limits are very important first steps to some changes, good steps in lowering your high cholesterol. Depending on your overall risk, your doctor can also prescribe medication in conjunction with healthy eating and regular exercise program. It is diagnosed with simple tests performed by your doctor.  Good luck. 

Hi there. This is problem with very high cholesterol. It can be very dangerous. You could read how is it diagnosed, but since I have problem with it I will tell you that this is hidden or even the silent risk factor of heart attack because it has no symptoms. That is the biggest problem. It is one of the biggest health burdens in our society and it needs to be treated. It is also famous as a hidden risk factor for some cardiovascular disease. Like I told you it has no symptoms but it can cause a lot of problems inside of your body.