I had some of heart diseases in my family. I have heard that high cholestorol is the best known threats to a healthy heart. As I think it’s in my genes to get some of those heart attacks I am a little bit afraid. Maybe I should check and reduce my cholestorol before I find out I have high cholestorol. That’s why I want to know more about this.

Cholestorol is a waxy, fat like substance that builds up along the walls of the arteries. When amount of cholestorol is excess, you face a dramatically higher risk of complete blockage. The most common result of high cholestorol is leading to heart attack or stroke. Normally, cholestorol is not a bad thing, contrary, it is an essential raw material. It is used by body to build cell walls and produce hormones such as testosterone and estrogen. Your body produces its own supply in the liver and it is found naturally in animal products. Problem is when body is unable to use or eliminate excessive supplies and then it becomes higher cholestorol then is normally. Cholestorol is usually measured in milligrams per deciliter of blood. National Cholestorol Education Program wrote desirable target profile consists of total blood cholestorol level less than 200. LDL level less than 100 if you have heart disease, less then 130 if you are at risk of heart disease and less then 160 if your risk of heart disease is low. HDL level should be greater than 40. Anything over this average is considered as high cholestorol.