Hello all, I was diagnosed with type 2 twelve years ago and and I'm having problems with my hba1c. It appears that I have bad control because my hba1c was 14. For about ten years I was pretty good at around 7.1 and believe me it was difficult to manage that but for some reason I'm way off the mark now. Is there anyone out that has experienced this that can give some advice so I can get good control again. No matter what, I think it's going to take me a while to back to 7 again. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello, Oh my goodness, an HbA1c of 14 is really high. I would certainly say you're out of control.

Suppose say you had HbA1c readings between 7 and 12 during a period of 9 weeks providing an HbA1c level of 10%. That indicates you BG levels were poorly controlled. This doesn't tell you your BG levels only that they must have been high during that period. Remember, HbA1c tells you your glycated hemoglobin. If glucose changes between say 5 to 9 this produces an HbA1c of 7% at the end of say 9 weeks which means you were well controlled. Recall, that in uncontrolled diabetes you have more glucose in blood meaning you have much more glycosylated hemoglobin. If you are uncontrolled you should get an HbA1c every month to see if you are improving with your diet, exercise and meds. On the other hand, if you are stable you should have an HbA1c done twice a year. Clearly, you diet must be way off and what about exercise. You have to get serious. Get to a low carb diet and exercise regularly. I don't know what meds you on so I can't say anything about that but you might want to talk with your diabetes manager and see if your dosages need to be changed.